Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #46531 
Silverfang

Sadly they are no longer around. If they were that would be freaky. They'd be 28.

Waiting at the dentist. Ph the joys of a crown.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #46532 
Laki

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaturbyfill View Post
I like baking a lot more than cooking. :3 Probably because I love baked foods so much. Heh. I'm a sucker for cookies, brownies, muffins, homemade bread, etc.
This. <3

When we were little we used to let our cats outside (mostly mom and dad did. Dad would let them out as kittens because he didn't like them and "they're supposed to go outdoors" and mom would let them out because "if they go outside once, they'll always want to") So all of our cats never once seen a vet and died under the age of 5. Except our female Pepper, she mothered countless litters of kittens and lived to be almost 10 before mom brought her to SPCA.
So, I have a bit of tough heart when it comes to people who let their cats out. So much can go wrong and you're shortening their lives by more than half. (I guess the real culprits are those whose cats are unfixed and unvaccinated). That's the way I feel because of all the cats I see pitifully digging around for food, looking scrawny from disease and are dirty from hiding under cars and fighting.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #46533 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
That's the way I feel because of all the cats I see pitifully digging around for food, looking scrawny from disease and are dirty from hiding under cars and fighting.
I can assure you no cat who lives outdoors is "pitifully digging around for food". Cats are the best hunters out there. A couple of house cats let out to go feral will single handedly erase whole populations of rabbits,quail, mice...any small{ish} creature who uses the ground as a home. I reckon they will eventually go hungry and get diseases once they have wiped out their food sources. Around here, feral cats are hated with a passion.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #46534 
Silverfang

We had three out door cats, but they were well taken care of.

They were also spoiled rotten. They hunted, but they got two meals a day, dry food, and human food as treats. Should have seen the three of them when mother was preparing cod.

Anyways I have to go sleep off the pain. The anesthesia is wearing off. Tooth stuff is the worst pain.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #46535 
Laki

The street my mom lives on (and where we got Oliver, who was "let to go feral" when his owner went to jail) has many outdoor cats. None of them see a vet and none of them are fixed. The healthy ones, like Oliver, hunted for sustenance when their owners are away and they cannot go inside for food. However, mice and birds and bugs can carry disease or worms. Oliver was pretty badly infested with worms when we got him, so much that I bet he wouldn't be alive right now if he was to have stayed living on the street. Also, there was a white cat around the same time; frostbitten ears, swollen eyes, scars and open wounds, and I bet he would have tested positive for feLk and fHIV. (maybe not though since Oliver didn't, but Ollie was already neutered and probably didn't fight as much).. This white cat was abandoned and for months was just digging through the garbages and fighting on the street. He also would have died in the winter if my mom's neighbor didn't take him in and fund his recovery. I don't know how he is now though.
Anyway, I kknow not all cases are the same. I know there are some cats who do get to go inside and eat and still hunt little creatures. But once disease strikes or their owners abandon them, thousands perish each year. They have a will to survive and are very good hunters, I know, but I'm thinking of the pitiful starving, disease ridden ones I see in certain low-income areas of town, and up in the fields.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #46536 
Yuuie

morning all
Yuuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #46537 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Guys, I don't think Kamikaze's gonna make it. :'( He was fine one day and the next he was half dead. I gave him AQ/Epsom but I don't know if it'll help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #46538 
Aahnay

We catch ferel cats, spay/nueter, give them the cut in the ear and turn them loose to live. In nampa there were about 30 of them all fed at a chinese resturant. But they were growing, so everyone got together to do the above. It helps a lot.

Here aids is rampant, and so are coyotes, fox, dogs, most wild cats only live about 6mos to 2 years. Its sad to domesticate animals, then not care for them when we take over the land. Not just cats.

I know I know, no politics, lol.

mosquitoes: If you take a crap load of b vitamins, they will stay away, and there are blood types they prefer, but I cant remember which, its one side of the ph scale.

In seattle the fleas are like big as .. huge, in idaho, they are very tiny and almost cant see them. Ive been lucky, since in idaho, only had fleas once. But in seattle, if anyone went outside for any time always came back with fleas.

You could go to someones house, and come home and have fleas, i hate fleas, they love me, so do mosquitoes. lol.

If I had free running water, Id have so many tanks now!!! I vowed to not have fish after i was vegan. Doesnt look like peta helped the fish much. I think they will always be with us. Again I am conflicted. I love fish, and I love to eat fish/seafoods, snails, oysters, clams, etc. I grew up on the coast! lol.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #46539 
Aahnay

oh no Olympia, Im sorry to hear that. I wonder what it is...you cant think of any parameters that changed? Poor little guy.

When i got georgie the cashier asked me if it was true you have to lift the fish high when you go out the doors, cause the scanner will burst their bladder? I told her I had no idea. She said they are supposed to tell you when you buy fish.

I held georgie up but forgot to hold the girls up. The people that sell the bacteria tell you to have it ground shipped, because usps exrays everything and it will kill the bacteria. Wouldnt that kill fish too? or hurt them?

Maybe the ph? although I would think the ph, would change them right away then in the long run. Poor little guy.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #46540 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I can't imagine that does much because people ship betta from Thailand via air all the time..

No, nothing has changed, he was in a big stable 15 gallon, the other boys are fine.. He's in a 2.5 gallon now. Sorta bummed, really seems like it happened for no reason...
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese