Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #48341 
Silverfang

we had a pair, sometimes two pairs. They nested in a pond behind the house I grew up in. It was one of the few things dad and I could share and enjoy.

The fact that no one ever shot them was a miracle.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #48342 
dramaqueen
Banned

We have animal haters around here. They were only doing what comes naturally to them. That's no reason to kill them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #48343 
Sakura8

DQ, that's so sad! Why would anyone shoot them? Ducks are harmless! A little messy, sure, but they're not usually aggressive. Poor gander, looking for his mate. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #48344 
Silverfang

Well when a moose was spotted near by... someone had moose steak the next night.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #48345 
Sakura8

:( Your neighborhood sounds sad, DQ. I'm glad we don't have neighbors like that. I'd be terrified for all the pets around here.

Well . . . I guess a big moose can be kinda dangerous. I've seen footage of them crashing through storefronts. But it's sad people's first reaction to an animal problem is to shoot it.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #48346 
Silverfang

not a moose problem, moose is a treat for some people

and legally, you can only hunt one a year, IF you can get a license, and you have to hunt in a specific part of the island. At least I think that's how it was, my dad would drive like 6 hours and spend a couple days with a friend on the Northern Peninsula to get his moose.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #48347 
dramaqueen
Banned

Well, I don't have any proof that someone did it but one of my neighbors threatened to have someone shoot them so I think someone did.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #48348 
Sakura8

I still don't know why anyone would want to kill harmless ducks. :(

Silverfang, that's nice they have some restrictions on hunting the moose. I honestly have no idea how the hunting restrictions are here. My mom's cousin hunts pheasant and geese but that's about it.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #48349 
Silverfang

honestly the biggest problem with moose is the the highway. There are car accidents so often. Any number of factors, but the long and the short, if a car (sedan... 2 door, 4 door...) hits a moose, the driver and front passenger are bound to die. Hit the moose, the legs break, it tumbles onto the hood and windshield. That can be 400+ pounds that hit at who knows what speed. Think of it as hitting a cow on taller legs.

EDIT: from wikipedia

Males (or "bulls") weigh 380–700 kg (840–1,500 lb) and females (or "cows") typically weigh 200–360 kg (440–790 lb)

Death, spinal injuries, brain injuries, all quite common. The only ones who are likely to be unhurt are truck drivers (driving 18 wheelers). My mothers friend is one, and last year he hit a moose. He was a bit shaken up but fine. The front of his truck was a mess, the impression of the antlers were prominent. The damage was 30k.

Last edited by Silverfang; 09-11-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #48350 
Sakura8

I can believe it. Up in the mountains, we have a similar but not quite so large-scale problem with deer, especially big bucks. I can only imagine how it must be to hit a moose. o.O Now I'm all scared for you and Laki. Be safe on the highway!!!!!

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese