Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 12:45 AM   #48351 
Silverfang

Go Wiki...

A moose's body structure, with a large heavy body suspended on long spindly legs, makes these animals particularly dangerous when hit by passenger cars with low ground clearances. Generally, when colliding with a moose at high speed, the car's bumper and front grille will break the moose's legs, causing the body of the moose to fall onto the car's hood and delivering the bulk of the animal's weight into the windshield, crushing the front roof support beams and anyone in the front seats.[76] Collisions of this type are frequently lethal; seatbelts offer no protection, and airbags may not deploy or be of much use if they do.[77] Although vehicles with higher clearances (such as trucks) are typically immune from this effect, the force of striking any 270+ kg (600+ pound) object at high speed should not be underestimated. These risks led to the development of a vehicle test referred to as the "moose test" (Swedish: Älgtest, German: Elchtest).

In Newfoundland and Labrador, it is recommended to motorists to use caution between dusk and dawn, because that is when moose are most active and most difficult to see, increasing the risk of collisions.[82] Local moose sightings are often reported on radio stations so that motorists can take care while driving in particular areas.

It's true, on my preferred station they will update immediately with a moose sighting.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #48352 
Sakura8

Seriously, now I'm gonna be like majorily paranoid about you and Laki on the roads.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #48353 
Silverfang

And we lost power. The whole Avalon seems to be without power. Not sure what to do about my two filters.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:19 AM   #48354 
Relic

Ducks are yummy...so are geese. I got 5 geese last week.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #48355 
Silverfang

Power is back, the filter on my shrimp tank is dead. Sigh....
Old 09-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #48356 
mcneivra

i hate it when that happens. hopefully you don't have too much trouble with a broken filter :/
mcneivra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #48357 
Laki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
Bowring park, it's got soooooooooo many ducks! Should see when the ducklings are hatching and following momma around.
I always wonder how the multiple families don't get mixed up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I still don't know why anyone would want to kill harmless ducks. :(

Silverfang, that's nice they have some restrictions on hunting the moose. I honestly have no idea how the hunting restrictions are here. My mom's cousin hunts pheasant and geese but that's about it.
The hunting restrictions seem contradictory to me. There are more moose on the island than people. Taking a couple more per license won't harm the population. Not that I condone hunting, because I don't like to think of the pain and suffering involved and the separated mama/calf pairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I can believe it. Up in the mountains, we have a similar but not quite so large-scale problem with deer, especially big bucks. I can only imagine how it must be to hit a moose. o.O Now I'm all scared for you and Laki. Be safe on the highway!!!!!
Don't drive. I don't think Silver does either. And my friend/acquaintances who do drive I don't really hang out with! Rest easy :) Might have been a few years since I was on the highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
And we lost power. The whole Avalon seems to be without power. Not sure what to do about my two filters.
We woke up at 8, seen everything was closed and went back to bed. As we were falling asleep the power went out. I came out and checked the tank but nothing I could do about it. Woke up 1130 and everything is on. The filter is fine and the fish are good. I don't know about shrimpies though. Hope you and, Ashes and the tanks are all okay!!
No trees down on my street that I can see. I don't understand why everything is closed. I used to walk to school in winds stronger than those out there now....(not that I'm complaining about my day off!!)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #48358 
xjenuhfur

I hate to ask this question, but what are some good fish that can survive a cycling in a 10gal that aren't pretty bettas? I need some fish that I can get to survive a cycling.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #48359 
djembekah

i figured out why my keyboard wasn't working well yesterday- there was a sewing needle stuck under my keys! got it though

I cycled with zebra danios, jen
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #48360 
xjenuhfur

Aren't they too active for a 10gal? ):
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese