Oooh, okay. Yea it's a huge difference here. o.O
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #48663 
eaturbyfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
so cute Elizabeth :)
Thanks!

It's funny going from a small high school of only white kids (93 people in my graduating class, 50 in my husband's-- we're from the same county) to a university with a little over 15,000 students. I like it. It's nice to see people who aren't, well, white Baptist rednecks. Coming from a small town, I LOVE being able to see people of different races and religions.. where most people from my high school would hate them for being different. o-O The area of my high school is awful! This little part of Tennessee doesn't have much diversity. But I think it's great to meet different types of people. There's this one woman who's from Malaysia, and another from Kenya! How cool is that? I think it's awesome.
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #48664 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Haha, I guess that must be cool seeing that for the first time! xD

I saw this documentary in Tennessee, their first integrated high school prom was in 2004 (or 2006, don't recall). Unbelievable.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #48665 
Sakura8

Yeah, for my brother, well, Rhode Island School of Design is considered the premier art college in the states so he was lucky he even got in. Even though he doesn't use the degree, its name is really impressive on a resume and he's met lots of influential people because of it. All the more reason to hate/resent him.

No one around here differentiates between college and university either. Hmmm.

Happy birthday, Percy! *blows noisemaker*
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #48666 
eaturbyfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Haha, I guess that must be cool seeing that for the first time! xD

I saw this documentary in Tennessee, their first integrated high school prom was in 2004 (or 2006, don't recall). Unbelievable.

The prejudice around here kills me. -facepalm- I'd hate to be someone of a different race living here, people treat them badly. Or if you're a different religion. Or sexuality. Or ANYTHING, really. I have tolerance for everything except intolerance. Wait a second.. xD

I didn't even see an African American until I was several years old. (I hope this doesn't count as "political," I'm just sharing my experience.) My mum told me about how I outright asked her, I was like "Mommy, is that a black man?" And the dude just turned around and smiled. Lol.

Edit: Thanks, Sakura! I bet that made Percy happy. :3 Also, you're my first Asian friend, btw! There were no Asians at my school.

Edit II: So, if I ever seem ignorant, it really is because I'm unused to different cultures and getting to meet different people. I really don't want to offend anyone.

Last edited by eaturbyfill; 09-13-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #48667 
Laki

Happy Birthday Percy!!

THere are a lot of people around my city who rely on welfare. Not because they're socially incapable of working, but because they're too lazy to work. We have a profound social serviced community. Therefore, it is surprising in some families to even get a post secondary degree. Doesn't even matter in what.
This is not the case in the whole city, mind you. Just many of the (various) housing projects. I grew up in pretty bad poverty so I've seen the worst of the worst. Also, in my immediate family I am the only one who attended university. There are some college degrees floating around but only one of my aunts and one of her sons are actually using them.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #48668 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Awww xD So sad.
Here, college is for lower degrees/income, university is where you make a lot of money, but is more expensive and more work.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #48669 
eaturbyfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Happy Birthday Percy!!

THere are a lot of people around my city who rely on welfare. Not because they're socially incapable of working, but because they're too lazy to work. We have a profound social serviced community. Therefore, it is surprising in some families to even get a post secondary degree. Doesn't even matter in what.
This is not the case in the whole city, mind you. Just many of the (various) housing projects. I grew up in pretty bad poverty so I've seen the worst of the worst. Also, in my immediate family I am the only one who attended university. There are some college degrees floating around but only one of my aunts and one of her sons are actually using them.
My mom is the only other person in my immediate family (besides people my age trying to go to school, like my cousins) with a Bachelor's or any other type of formal education degree. She came from even poorer conditions than me. My grandpa was a gambler (he stopped, though, and was a great man), so they constantly had to move, had the power cut off, and never had anything. I can't imagine that. I'm just used to not having as much as the other kids.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #48670 
Sakura8

The town I live in was pretty white as I was growing up. Very few minorities. With the housing boom though, it has really diversified and now we have quite a large Indian/Sikh population.

I once considered going to a college in South Carolina but in the end, I was afraid of the prejudism and was aiming for a college in the east. Before the big mental meltdown, anyway.

I think I'm going to Petsmart so I shall return. Maybe with more plants.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese