Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #49201 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

The 120 wasn't for a vet, sorry! Was a doctor's hours.
At the clinic I worked at, the vets were in about 3 days a week each (they alternated unless it was a busy day). Both older so didn't really need to work, I guess younger you'd work a little more, but doesn't seem to horrible.
I'd loooove to be a vet at a zoo, but you know, keep dreaming. D:
Everyone said I was awesome at the clinic at least, and my friend was there and they were talking about their awesome student that they had, she asked and it was me. xD
Still, should find a realistic back up for what to do with my B.Sc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #49202 
Laki

I say go for it anyway. A teacher should never try to hinder your dreams. Yes, maybe a bit of a wake up call about the realisty of the job but there aren't many jobs that require 40 hours a week anymore. TO have a good job, ie, a vet or doctor it means you are dedicated to the patients and their needs. Therefore, you work over 50 hours a week.
Also, fyi- there's only 168 hours in a week.. So I'm betting that your teacher may have exaggerated a little bit. Because obviously her husband needed to sleep and transit to and from work. Plus it's against the law to not have a day off. etc...

Follow your dreams Olympia. You'll make a fantastic vet. At some point you might even own your own hospital and then can decide your own hours. :)

Like Bekah said a while back, gun piercings are bad. Should be illegal. I pierced my own ears (but I guess I cannot say how). I also cut my own hair. THe only time I went to get it done was at the hair school (charged me like 7$) and he only did what I normally do myself for free.

Crabby, I think we have the same hair color!! Light strawberry blonde! Almost golden in the sun. I get asked if I dye it too.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #49203 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

She's right though, there's 3 vet schools in Canada I can apply to. O.o
I totally believe working 120 hours a week, I remember two med students saying they intern 100 hours a week. Tiring job, she said a liver transplant is 4 hours to remove and 8 hours to transfer in to someone new.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #49204 
Laki

Bah, that's being a liver surgeon though. You want to be a vet!!
Old 09-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #49205 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yes, gotta keep trying I guess.
"Vet" is like all the 10 year old's dream, but they tend to drop it since it's a lot of work, I don't know anyone who wants to be one but doesn't say much. Hopefully there's more room in the exotics section.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #49206 
Laki

You'll be guarenteed a good job if you're practised in small animals and exotics. At least in Newfoundland. There's like no practising vets., My bunny vet moved out of Canada after he "became allergic" and his mentor is no longer taking new patients. So the other vets are becoming "trained" by experience.
6 years ago when my bunny was spayed the vet told me she could count on one hand the bunny spays she did up to that point. My other bunny's retrobulbar disease which lead to the removal of one tooth was that vet's first tooth removed from a bunny in her career. Unnerving.

And given the new education in small animal care, (neutering male rats?!!?) I say you'll be kept busy with smalls and exotics.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #49207 
eaturbyfill

Don't give up!

People are stupid; that teacher obviously didn't know what they were talking about. If you set your mind to it, I think you can do it. Who cares if there aren't many vet schools? Any 3 of them would be lucky to have you.
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #49208 
Sakura8

I'm going back to bed now so I can wake up before it gets too hot and start pulling bricks again.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #49209 
Laki

Rest up Sakura!
My tattoo is going to cost 200$ plus tax. I paid 50 today for the deposit. The stupid thing won't even get inked until November 30.. :( It's going to happen though. The artist is going to simplify a drawing of him (realistic but not too detailed and not cartoony) and then incorporate an actual photograph of his pawprint.
I'm too excited. Wants to sleep and wake up November 29th.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #49210 
thekinetic

Wahoo, I finally got to order my straight razor! Happy = Me
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese