Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #5201 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
recovering.. feels like someone took a 2x4 to my ribcage still.
naah me and the Petsmart manager are cool. he helped me quite a bit when i first started adopting bettas, now he comes to me for advice ironic, in't it? but hey, sometimes i can sweet-talk my way to a discount on a nice marineland 5gal with a biowheel (or 3) i got all my kids hooked up with marinelands now! the boys all have 5gals and Roxie's got a 3gal. i just wish i coulda hooked Algernon up.. but i knew he was too badly injured. at least he died in a nice plush tank instead of a cup.
Aww, how long ago did you have the surgery?

Sweet deal you have going with your Petsmart. I wish mine would ask for advice on how to care for them. I bet the boys are so happy now in their big tanks. How are they doing? Elvis still making you just stand there with the tweezers and his food?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #5202 
Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Aww, how long ago did you have the surgery?

Sweet deal you have going with your Petsmart. I wish mine would ask for advice on how to care for them. I bet the boys are so happy now in their big tanks. How are they doing? Elvis still making you just stand there with the tweezers and his food?
a month ago. it's gonna take a few more months of recovery time, or so i'm told. plus i'm active and impatient, so i'm sure my surgeon would flay me alive if he knew i wasn't exactly taking it as easy as he would like.
and yes, Elvis is his usual shameless self. if i accidentally let a bloodworm slip out of the tweezers, he'll watch it float by until it's out of sight, then he'll turn back to me with a "now what the heck did you go and do that for" glare. Zen and King Louie, they would zip right after it. Simon would take note and snag it later. Roxie just wouldn't let it happen. Elvis?
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #5203 
Echo

anyone know how to get rid of a horrendous algae bloom, by the way? one that does not involve chemicals or snails?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #5204 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
anyone know how to get rid of a horrendous algae bloom, by the way? one that does not involve chemicals or snails?
I've heard people say that marimo moss balls eat the same food as algae and kill it off by starving it.

I'm back :D
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #5205 
fightergirl2710

Hey Echo! We missed you! Whenever a betta/ fish was in trouble, you were remembered! I hope you get well soon and come whoop their butts!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #5206 
Littlebittyfish

I'm having issues with algae in my 5 gallon
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #5207 
Pitluvs

Would turning off the lights for 3 days and wrapping the tank in black garbage bag help? I heard that was used for algae, but not sure which type.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #5208 
Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
I've heard people say that marimo moss balls eat the same food as algae and kill it off by starving it.

I'm back :D
bleh. got one of those. it just sits there like a.. moss ball. i'm wondering.. it's the only tank with sand as a substrate, and the only tank with this problem. maybe if i swap the sand for gravel?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #5209 
copperarabian

If the algae us on the wall you can also just wipe it off with a really clean cloth that you shook out really well so no little hairs or dust float around in your tank(Rinsing it off in the sink also helps). I do this with paper towels in my 15g sometimes, it's next to a window so the algae does really well on the front wall.

I don't know if switching to gravel will make a difference, does your tank get a lot of late, even late in the day when the sun shines through the window for like 10-30min?
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #5210 
Echo

the tanks are out of range of sunlight. i have a small apartment, and space is limited near the windows. the tanks are in a well-lit area that uses those energy-saving bulbs, yet still this is the only tank that has the problem. oh.. i forgot to mention.. this tank also has live plants, while the others don't.
maybe i could use the moss ball to wipe the algae off the sides

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese