Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #55681 
thekinetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post

I can't remember who said this, but I agree that small animal people are scary. Just..... Nuts. I do like piggiepigpigs on YouTube.
Wait what?O.o

I'm not crazy, I am however delightfully mad! I do talk to my hammy but only the same way I talk to my fish. It's when they start talking back is when you're crazy!
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #55682 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
I can't remember who said this, but I agree that small animal people are scary. Just..... Nuts. I do like piggiepigpigs on YouTube.
Alot of small animal lovers come off extremely rude. I try not to be rude, I just try to be straight to the point. I do that in an attempt to keep from getting anyone confused. I believe most small animal lovers are like that simply because they're tired of small animals being used as the "starter pets" to which most get dis-guarded and sometimes left for death.

I also follow piggiepigpigs, her views are so adorable!
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #55683 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
Wait what?O.o

I'm not crazy, I am however delightfully mad! I do talk to my hammy but only the same way I talk to my fish. It's when they start talking back is when you're crazy!
ROFL
When hubby 1st saw me baby talk the betta he said I was nuts xD
Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #55684 
Yuuie

morning all had a nice 7am wake up call from my niece who couldn't wake up her brothers even though she was trying to wake them a good half hour early too.
Yuuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #55685 
Silverfang

yup.... I'm waiting for them to pre-emptive close the school.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #55686 
FishyFishy89

ROFLMAO
Crash the Super Bowl finalists include Central Floridian's ad - FOX 35 News Orlando
Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #55687 
ThePearlFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
@Pearl, on the forum where she posted, the users have grown accustomed to NOT "taking their word" on giving adequate floor time. One of the reasons why the cages are so large for the small animals is so they can exercise on THEIR own time.

Hamsters, I've never seen a hamster where his or her health was significantly improved by being put in a large cage. Hammys love to dig in bedding, tunnel, stuff their face and sleep. I think, as long as they can do that, they're happy happy happy.

For guinea pigs/rabbits. We've often compared caring for them to caring for a child. The only difference is you don't change diapers and don't take them to school stuff. Piggys love to run and rabbits love to hop, they need adequate space to do those things they love on their own time.

But I've been in her position before, I understand how she feels. You go your whole time with this animal and think the animal is perfectly fine in their small cage. But it really isn't until you build the larger cage that you see the animal is happier and healthier in it's appropriately sized cage.
I don't exactly understand why the OP would have to please everyone else in the forum to own the rabbit, but I do understand what you are trying to say FishyFishy, haha. :P

Some people might think I was a bad guinea pig owner before my Guinea pig Toadie died due to "cage space requirements".

When I first got Toadie and Asher, they were in the same small cage at the shelter. I had a 3rd guinea pig (Noboz) She was scared of other gpigs and wouldn't associated with them. She simply just did not understand gpig body language so thought it was safer not to associate with them. Asher turned out to be aggressive to other gpigs when we brought her home. Toadie got along with every one, but BF and I decided the best thing to do would be to keep them in the same cage, but separate the cage so each pig had its own space. (The cage itself is large. it is almost 6ft long x 2ft wide. However, with each gpig having their own space each of them only got about 1 1/2 feet in length).

Even though they had such little space, they were all happy. They even ran around their spaces and did laps regularly, so they did get exercise.

Noboz died a few mos. after I got Asher and Toadie so the cage was split in half so each got about 2 1/2 ft. in length. Still I am sure to some that would be way too little, but it is actually a good amount of space. They both were very happy pigs up till the time Toadie passed away this past fall.

Asher has had the almost full 6 ft. for the past few mos. but even though I set up the cage so she has to walk back and forth sometimes to get food, her preference is to actually sit in one corner in a litter box all day (same as when she had a smaller space).

I wasn't about to re-home my guinea pigs just because they had a lack-of-space issue when I got them. I made a commitment to care for them the best I could and they were all just as content and happy in a smaller space as a larger one and I could provide for their needs in every way except for space. Shrugs. :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am going to get my textbooks today for school and run some errands. Waiting for Verizon to come by and check the backyard for electrical and other house lines before I can go.

Today will be a quiet, but good day I think :). I need one of those kindsa days.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #55688 
Laki

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Alotta people were on her? case about her putting her 2 male buns in a VERY small cage. The cage wasn't even the minimal size for 1 guinea pig!
I bet they're not even neutered, are they? I cannot make assumptions though. If they are neutered it explains why they haven't killed each other yet. If they are not neutered- I wonder how much time before they kill each other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePearlFish View Post
FishyFishy-

*snip*

Personally, if I had a rabbit, I would not devote a whole room to them and though I would give a bunny adequate time out, I could not leave it out 24/7. I just do not have that capability or space. Doesn't make me horrible rabbit owner or incapable of giving it all it needs. I take care of all my pets to the best of my abilities, but yea..

I personally think that even if some people do things a little different with their animals that you would not do, doesn't make if "wrong" per-se. :)

*snip*
A full rabbit room is not necessary, you're right. However, minimal space is not hard to acheive. It seems a lot of people are freaked out by the whole rabbit thing, they think it's either a full room to themselves or a small commercial cage. It's rather irking because rabbits are the third most surrendered and euthanized domesticated pet in shelters almost universally (at least in Canada, USA and some UK countries). Doing things differently can be a large range of things. I do not know the OP of this thread but it sounds really awful to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I would never talk about my pets online if I had small ones. People are too picky. Like whoever came up with 300 square inches for a hamster or whatever. Only fish and reptile people seem calm.

Got a 91% on my advanced functions test and a 96% on homeostasis test. Phew. Study MORE MORE MORE!
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh, I think if a chubby cheek bunny entered your life you would die with happpiness lol But I hear you- my sister and mother do not enter betta forums (this one on my advice) because they both have less than adequate fish-keeping habits.
CONGRATS on your awesome grades!!! I wish I had your study habits. Stayed up till 3 am last night trying to read this dry political article on an old NL premier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
*snip*

Honostly things like rabbits do not require a huge space like a room and are more than happy in a smaller space like a cage. It's just when you keep multiples of the same animal in the same cage you must understand it's psycology. They are territorial even though gregorious, much like gerbils. However if you do not give them enough space they will fight and even kill the other. My brother found this out when one of his gerbils killed and ate the other.

*snip*.
With risk of becoming a "crazy small animal person" WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR INFO ON RABBITS?!?!?! lol Seriously?? Rabbits actually require tonnes of space! Know why? Because they are not rodents, they are lagamorphs who spend hours grazing over a vast terrirory. They dig little dens for their homes which can go for a mile or more because they build it in a maze layout to confuse fox and other sneaky predators. They are equipped with powerful legs for defense and quick running. Oh my, my buttons were pushed lol. I guess it's true.
I wouldn't put any rabbit in something smaller than this for long term keeping (it lets them stand up and stretch, jump, and multi-levels for stimulation. Bunny can run on the bottom level as well which she enjoys. There is always a box in the bottom for her den. Bunnies get bored as quickly as you can imagine, They need to explore and stuff or they get destructive and depressed:

On another note- Check this link if you have clean underwear. > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRqS6pBC42w
Attached Images

Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #55689 
ThePearlFish

That cage is really attractive Laki :)
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #55690 
Laki

haha, not.
It's Oliver-proofed as best I could with limited resources. And now I changed the floor to a soft padded sheet because I noticed her hocks getting sore from jumping down. And it's guarded with tonnes of cardboard :) Less than aesthetic but it works. Thanks :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese