Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #56061 
Laki

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
Laki did you know this is why there are so many kids with allergies to foods like peanuts and strawberries. It's because we coddle them now and back when my dad was growing up they were tougher and gave them peanuts anyway, and it was the same when my brother and I were growing up. So people built up a tolerance to them.

Of course this really get's my goat now a days as my niece isn't allowed to bring a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to school! OMFGWHAT?!! I don't give a dang about someone else's genetically weak kid, if you won't teach them to stay away from it on their own or better yet expose them to it to creat a tolerance then don't send them to public school. This freaking speedbump mentality needs to stop! /endrant
My neice's best friend is allergic to everything. Like; fur, peanuts, other nuts, fish, MSG or some other commonly used food enhancer, Probably also celiac. I don't know. I agree, formula fed babies can be sensitive to things. However, my niece was raised on all formula and as far as anyone can tell she is a healthy thing. Never needs to go to doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePearlFish View Post
She can't bring her lunch to school cus someone else can't teach their kid NOT to eat SOMEONE ELSE'S FOOD, the food they are ALLERGIC to??!!! YEESH! What is the parenting world coming to nowadays...

I am hungryfulls..
Because some of these allergies are so strong that the smell of their food triggers their reaction. My junior high school held a chocolate selling fundraiser once and then the parent of a kid freaked out because her child had such sensitive allergies and had to leave the school. Based only on the smell.

Finally got my textbooks, used of course. Money saving is well worth the wait.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #56062 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yep. Some kids, smelling peanuts sends them into max allergic reactions, hives and all that, need the EPI pen or else.. Sadly these kids exist, in my old school their photos were in the staff room with their allergies if they are severe. That degree of allergy is almost a handicap in today's society, these people have to be careful everywhere they go. Will be interesting seeing how society changes as these kids grow, most of them are in elementary still, and I'm still allowed nuts in high school, but for how long.
A lot of allergies do change as people grow too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #56063 
ThePearlFish

Well, the point of my post wasn't about the smell of foods causing someone to have a reaction.

It is way too dark in the house. I dunno why I just don't turn on any lights :P

I should walk the dog before it becomes too dark.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #56064 
Laki

I went to school with some kids and allergies. It was only peanuts then. So those kids are my age, either in university or working full time or in some ways in the real world. Kids with worse allergies.. Yea. I mean, I can eat whatever I want in a university setting. It's up to the person to move if they smell or encounter their allergen- I think therefore, public schools are handicapping them further by babying their needs. In the real world nobody gives a hoot if you are allergic to peanuts. People with severe allergies to like, I dunno, something common but ridiculous, will have to avoid those things even if it means compromising education or getting special education or tutoring in another building. Sillyness. And this is coming from me- healthy and robust. I cannot relate to their world but I feel bad for them anyway.

So I forgot I unplugged my assassin tank heater last night to do the dishwasher.. I just checked it's temp it was like 59-60F. All the ostracods are slow or gone, snails have buried themselves. I have them on my desk now with a lamp and the heater. Poor things. (even though I am keeping none of them!)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #56065 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Yep. Some kids, smelling peanuts sends them into max allergic reactions, hives and all that, need the EPI pen or else.. Sadly these kids exist, in my old school their photos were in the staff room with their allergies if they are severe. That degree of allergy is almost a handicap in today's society, these people have to be careful everywhere they go. Will be interesting seeing how society changes as these kids grow, most of them are in elementary still, and I'm still allowed nuts in high school, but for how long.
A lot of allergies do change as people grow too.
Posted via Mobile Device
I had no idea though that smelling peanuts could do that.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #56066 
Sakura8

Last year, a bunch of seniors at a local high school decided to play a senior prank and they smeared peanut butter all over the school. The school called all the kids they could reach with peanut allergies and told them not to come but a few didn't get the message in time. They had to be rushed to the hospital.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #56067 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, some people are hypersensitive to things now.
I don't think it's "getting used to it" but more about all the preservatives and such in food nowadays, that stuff can be stored in you and passed on through breast milk. Though I still think it's better than formula. We watched something about Inuit people the other day, at one point their area was so polluted breast milk would make babies sick with something so they all had to use formula. It's gotten better by now a bit though.

If I put my hand in the tank the halfbeaks swim up and wrestle with me. Hehe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #56068 
Shirleythebetta

Olympia/Sukura-That's really something. I had no idea they could be that serious. I mean, I inherited my mother's allergy to the sun but mine isn't as bad as hers. I just can't go outside on high UV days or I will break out in a rash. I couldn't imagine being that allergic to something. Learn something new everyday I guess.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #56069 
thekinetic

You know if just the smell can set it off mabey they shouldn't go to public school. It's their problem not mine, not my brother's, not my niece's or nephews'. I'm not trying to be an arse but why should they have to suffer not eating something they like over a minority of children. Those children are going to have to learn one day life is tough and doesn't care if you have an allergy and the world isn't going to stop for you.

And parents fail to listen to reason on it. Scientists and nutrionalists have proven that small doses of peanuts can produce a immunity in children with the allergy.

*sigh* If only that were true with cats! -_- Of course owning a cat would be bad for me as I also own a hamster and three fish tanks. XD
thekinetic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #56070 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Sakura has 7 cats, 2 rats, a hamster, and like 20 fish tanks. Wonder how she does it. Really. o.o
I don't like super high maintenance animals. I like my fish and my snake. :/
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese