Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #58051 
thekinetic

File' is made from the ground leaves not the roots, and they don't use it in root beer. They use derivatives from anise and licorice roots. They can't use sassafras as in large doses or concentrations it's toxic causing vomiting, stupour, and tachycardia. It's symtoms are very much like nutmeg, and like nutmeg it requires a large dose (but not unreasonably so) to be come toxic.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #58052 
Sakura8

Wow. I learn something new every day. But then, I shouldn't be surprised as there are a lot of herbs, roots, and plants that can be beneficial/flavorful/healing in the right amounts. Like uhm . . . wolfsbane. Was once used to help with pain but could if overdosed it became a very deadly poison.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #58053 
thekinetic

I know quite a bit when it comes to herbs and spices. Like how cinnamon is helpful for an upset stomach or ulcers and how clove is a natural anesthetic.

But my knowledge is mostly in poisons, I have a natural curiosity in learning the toxicity of certain plants. I find fascinating what certain chemical compounds can do. For instance mandrake is a relative of both belladonna and tomatos but is neither edible (with the exception of the flesh of the berries) nor deadly. It is instead a potent emetic as well as a extremely mild setative.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #58054 
ThePearlFish

I meant the Sassafras is derived from the roots.

This was from my powerpoint slide about how roots are relevant to people:

Food, obviously
Spices: licorice, sassafras, sarsaparilla
Dyes: browns from Madder family
Drugs: ipecac, reserpine (tranquilizer)
Insecticide: rotenone

ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #58055 
thekinetic

Yes and the science of botany is fun and scary at the same time. Especially since there are so many common plants which contain very toxic compounds. Some such as azalea and other rhododendrons are lethal if engested.

I've warned people that grow them to keep their pets and children away from them for that very reason.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #58056 
djembekah

I am on break niw but i keep staring at the small selection of yarn by the register....thick and quick or country wool???? Ideas. obsessive ideas.
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #58057 
Laki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post

Is it a Phillies Flyers game Laki?

Good luck with the studying, Olympia. But don't forget to have fun. :)
I wish. Phillies wouldn't come here and I can't afford to fly out to see them. In a few years :) No, the St. John's Ice Caps are AHL, feeds into NHL. I haven't really been following them but he was really excited to see the tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
Yay happy anniversary Laki!!

I really want to make a massively long chunky scarf for myself. i may just buy yarn to do it tomorrow. mistake rib seems easy enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
We're leaving pretty soon to go stuff our faces with Indian food down at a sort of classy restaurant. I feel like I'm pretty dressed up but I know as soon as we get there there will be people done up fancier. It just never works for me! lol I'm psyched to eat though. Only ate snowballs and kraft dinner today.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #58058 
FishyFishy89

Whos been eating my Cabomba??? Can a pleco possibly nom on a plant and not disturb or uproot it at the same time? I'm leaning towards the shrimpies....
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #58059 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I don't remember what fun is.. I've been studying five hours a day, I only have basically two classes, and somehow I got a 62 on the vectors test.. I just don't get it. :/
I do think the anxiety stuff is finally kicking in..... either that or pure apathy has taken over. -__-
Also, I invited 40 people over for tomorrow night. Blarggg. xD
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #58060 
Hadoken Kitty

I found a quicker way to do water changes! Woooo! Got my 20g, 2g, and 3g done within 5 mins. Not sure why it took me so long anymore. xD
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese