Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #58691 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, I've never seen the Apistos in the store either (they keep getting all these crazy new fish in, darn them!)
Corynopoma riisei (Swordtail Characin) — Seriously Fish
I have a weird thing for small silver fish. At first I turned them away since I thought they got huge, but apparently they don't now that I'm reading about them. I just hope the price isn't too high on them..
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #58692 
LittleBettaFish

I've got this longing to set up a tank for either some CPD or Microrasbora erythromicron recently. I am thinking a biotope style set-up would look awesome. I had some CPD in the past but sold them when I was moving my fish room around.

Oh to have so many dreams and to be so broke. Soon I am going to be begging on the street just to buy blackworms for my fish haha.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #58693 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I get a little pain every time someone says fish are cheap.. Sure, that fish costs $2.99, but when you need 8 of them to have a proper school, it does add up very fast.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #58694 
LittleBettaFish

$2.99 here is cheap. All our stuff is so expensive. I think about the only fish that is probably cheaper here is rainbows and natives.

My wild bettas are like $75-95 a pair. It's why everyone is all sealed up in escape proof tanks. I can't afford to replace any of them!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #58695 
Sakura8

I love apistos. I'd love a trio of apisto borelli. Not as flashy as the cacatuides.

Those swordtail characins are cool. But I have trouble feeding schooling fish. They never come up to the surface to eat and I end up seriously over feeding the tank to make sure everyone gets something. Why I ended up with such a ramshorn population boom,
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #58696 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hmm, I feed my schooling fish by making the food all sink. xD
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #58697 
LittleBettaFish

Really? I used to be swarmed when I had my tank just filled with schooling fish. Every single time I put my hand in to do anything they would start pecking it and swimming around it wanting to be fed.

I also will never understand the fascination fish have with the end of the siphon. You would think the ones that get sucked up once or twice would learn. But nope, they just think it's a great idea to swim right up under it so you have to spill water everywhere trying not to injure them.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #58698 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hmm, never had a problem with that.
Just one day one of the goldfish swam up it, and then swam down once he hit the dead end. xD
Old 03-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #58699 
LittleBettaFish

I only use the actual plastic tube as a siphon, and not the larger plastic end as otherwise I suck all my leaf litter out. Most fish go through the tube and come out unscathed at the other end, but one female once caught the tube on her side and she was bleeding from the gill and had these big bruises come up under her scales.

Of course after a brief panic from me, she was fine and wanting to eat some pellets.

I did the same to a juvenile once so I am always leery about fish getting near the ends of mine.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #58700 
Laki

Oh Sakura, that shouldn't hurt her. Rats are good at eating everything. If anything, the other two should be jealous.. Wait. No the other rat and the hamster!! I keep thinking of you having 3 rats but that's my friend here in town!! lol she should be fine.

So, I got my mom's fish. He looked dead when I went there. No color left to him. Got him home and he's still floating in the cup. His color is coming back (I think due to the dark water) and he gobbled up bloodworms. Mom said she never fed him since last night bc Iwas taking him and he's skinny, she said he hasn't been eating much anyway. So I have heavily tanned water with 2 tsp epsom for tonight and tomorrow to clean out his belly.

He has a bit of fin melt, but no black/red edges. So that shouldn't be a problem. I think her problem was just very bad water. He looks like Lude did when I brought him home. All this fish does is stay at the bottom like he's sitting.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese