Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #58961 
Laki

I haven't eaten poptarts in like... 11 years or something bc the topping contains gelatin. Oh what I wouldn't give to have one though. Eat some extra ones for meeee!!!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #58962 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'm sure you could make homemade poptarts without it Laki. :O
Omg there is a giant aquatics auction next weekend in Ottawa... must go must go. There's also speakers on Saturday about aquascape and fish breeding and all the good stuff but I can't go Saturday. :( Of course I could only go to the part that would encourage me to buy more stuff. xD
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #58963 
Hadoken Kitty

Okay professor.....UPDATE MY GRADE!!!!!
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #58964 
Laki

Speaking of homemade, we made homemade tortillas last night for soft taco's. Holy amazing.

I think I just reuined whatever chances my tank had of cycling, or broke it if it was there. I couldn't stand the algae and cleaned the sponges in the filter. A double dose of seachem fert, would that stop algae?!? Sheesh.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #58965 
FishyFishy89

And here I thought added more fert was giving me the algae!!
I haven't seen much hair algae since I didn't add the 2nd dosing. But maybe the double dosing should be done at once? And not a single dosing on 2 separate days?
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #58966 
Laki

I thought extra fert (but not too much) would encourage the plants you want to eat it all up and grow, thereby outsourcing the algae. I could be wrong.. We will see, I just kind of double dosed the tank, then dipped the salvinina and hornwort in another bucket of super fert water (to get extra algae off them. It completely wraps my plants!)
Old 03-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #58967 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Fertilizers can help.. if you make phosphates the limiting factor for growth the algae does get out competed, but you gotta be sure you're doing your lights right before trying that.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #58968 
Laki

How do I do my lights right?
The container I did the plant dip in had all kinds of fallen algae when I got done with it, so I sucked it up in the turkey baster and made it snow in the shrimp tank. It was like Christmas to them- they got too excited. lol
Old 03-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #58969 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well as long as it's a 6500k bulb over your tank I would say there isn't much wrong with the lights.. I can't see why you'd be having an algae problem though, honestly.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #58970 
Laki

Me too, it's really obnoxious. Like, just then I spent 2 hours cleaning a 5g tank bc of the algae. It is bright green and grows around my plants and thickens the surface of the water and completely covers the glass on Bowser's side (which is the side the light hangs over). It takes about a week and a half to get that bad, since I normally do a weekly 50% change I can sometimes combat it a bit. This last week and some I was too busy and it just went wild.

Could it be that the light is too close to the water? I think this model hood is an old design and the only 6500K bulb I could get to fit in it had a really large base, so I removed the rubber safety band on the hood and now the bulb kind of hangs like 2 inches from the surface......Oh, and I only leave it on for a max of 12 hours a day.

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese