Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #59071 
Sakura8

Aokashi, if life food isn't stimulating then you probably will have to force feed if you want the poor guy to have a chance. What I did when I once tried to force feed a betta is I took an eyedropper and dipped the the tip into thawed baby brine shrimp (daphnia would work too). I very gently put just the very tip of the eyedropper into his mouth. If he is gasping or breathing heavily, wait until he opens his mouth. It helps. I can't say if this method works or not but it's how I tried it. It's like the fish equivalent of feeding soup to a sick person.

Peggy did well at the vet because she LOOOOOOOOOVES the attention. Haha, the vet was actually trying to annoy her so she'd stop purring because the vet couldn't hear her heartbeat. Vet put her on prednisone for a week so we can rule out any possible allergies. If that doesn't help her stop with the licking/chewing, then it's probably behavioral and then I imagine things get tricky. :/ If it's an allergy, then I'm 99% sure it's a food allergy since this is an indoor only kitty.

Peggy does have Siamese in her somewhere (wouldn't know from her fat stubby appearance though). She is a talker too. Jen, I think my cat and your Old Man are related. Haha, except Peggy is a grump when it comes to other cats.

Crowntail, have you been to a vet? From what I learned today, it could be an allergy and if it is, they can treat it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #59072 
LittleBettaFish

This is our neurotic oriental. We are finally getting our house renovated and he has been very put out by the fact all his favourite spraying spots have been disturbed. So much so that he decided to cocoon himself in my mum's folded up doona cover until it is over haha.

LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #59073 
Silverfang

ooooh that picture! That face!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #59074 
LittleBettaFish

He has massive ears and I think we should have called him Gremlin or Goblin. He has been an expensive lesson in why one does not purchase from a BYB. I could sponsor a child in Africa for what his prozac costs a day.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #59075 
Sakura8

Is he purebred oriental or a mix with mostly oriental in him? That wedge-shaped face, so adorable!

EDIT: Several years ago, we tried giving Peggy Prozac but it literally made her butt fall asleep. She would try to jump onto something and her front end would go up but her back end wouldn't budge. She tried to jump up on the kitchen table and while her front paws reached the top, her back end got about 2" off the ground. We thought she was paralyzed and called our vet in a panic but she assured us that sometimes Prozac can make body parts go numb or "fall asleep."

Last edited by Sakura8; 03-12-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #59076 
Silverfang

maybe that's why I'm so sleepy all the time >.>
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #59077 
Sakura8

Haha, maybe. And a really long time ago, we gave our cat Lola Valium and it made her hungry all the time and REALLY grumpy. She'd beg incessantly and when we wouldn't give her any food, she'd attack us. We've not had much success medicating our neurotic cats.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #59078 
LittleBettaFish

He's purebred and registered and I think a couple of his parents or relatives were shown (we have his 'aunt' here as well and she is perfectly healthy). Just there were some warning signs that I can see now that we didn't then.

He has asthma (when he was younger it caused hemorrhaging in his lungs), excess cartilage in his throat and a big pointy bit on his stomach. He also has weird loose skin, odd looking front legs and is mildly OCD.

We thought he had cancer a couple years back because he got so sick. They cut him open because they thought he had swallowed something. But nope, it was just a really bad case of a stomach upset.

Oddly enough his asthma decreased dramatically after that operation as he hardly coughs at all now.

Forgot to add he is actually more active on the prozac than when we had him on clomicalm. It has also really cut down on the amount he sprays.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #59079 
Sakura8

He's absolutely stunning, LBF. He really is. I'm not a huge fan of the oriental type because here in the States, they breed it for the extreme - super thin, super tucked waist, a face so wedge shaped that it's obscene . . . But your boy there is a charmer.

Pretty scary about the hemorraghing and about his operation. I guess if I had all those things wrong with me, I'd be OCD too.

Oh for the neurotic cats in our lives . . .
Old 03-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #59080 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I don't like the really extreme looking siamese/orientals. He is about as extreme as I would want to go.

He's lucky he is such a cuddler. I think any other home he would be at the pound or euthanised as he has ruined our house.

But the house would not be the same without him, and our lives would be pretty boring without him in it.

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese