Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #62141 
Sakura8

I'd say HM because the tail is more rounded.

Well, you'll just have to find your new local fish store and make friends. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #62142 
dramaqueen
Banned

Right. lol And now I'm wondering if I should get a Labrador retriever after all. All I'm hearing is bad stuff about them, they constantly chew stuff, they dig, they shed and they want to be with you all the time. The wanting to be with me all the time doesn';t bother me because my last dog was like that but I don't want a dog that's going to dig holes all over my brother's yard or shed all over my furniture or chew up my stuff. I do think the chewing and digging can be controlled, though.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #62143 
Yuuie

hi all back from work was a nice shift not to busy but not to slow.
Yuuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #62144 
xjenuhfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Right. lol And now I'm wondering if I should get a Labrador retriever after all. All I'm hearing is bad stuff about them, they constantly chew stuff, they dig, they shed and they want to be with you all the time. The wanting to be with me all the time doesn';t bother me because my last dog was like that but I don't want a dog that's going to dig holes all over my brother's yard or shed all over my furniture or chew up my stuff. I do think the chewing and digging can be controlled, though.
Just popping in, and lurking.
I've had quite a few friends who have labs. The ones I have met (who are younger) have a higher energy level and should be walked daily. The chewing can be curbed by kong chew toys and other things you deem 'appropriate' to chew on. I've never met one with a digging problem.
A dirt problem, yeah. I think all the yellow labs I've met love to go outside, and get as dirty as possible as quickly as possible. (:
They are pretty vocal and the most adorable little lovebugs though.

Except when you are staying the night and they decide to sleep with you and your friend and the 80lb lab is like another person sleeping in the bed. Oh well, another cuddle buddy! :D
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:59 AM   #62145 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thanks, Jen. I've read that the digging shouldn't be a problem unless you leave them outside by themselves then they get bored and dig. Mine would never be left outside by himself. I have a cousin that had a lab and they kept her outside and she got very destructive and was always getting out of the yard. You can't put those dogs outside and forget about them.They never paid any attention to that poor dog and she was always getting loose.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #62146 
LittleBettaFish

Honestly, that sounds like things most breeds of dogs would do. Most dogs are going to dig and be destructive if bored or left to their own devices, and most dogs want to be with their owners and not outside forgotten in the yard.

Are you getting a puppy or an older dog? Our 'puppy' is nearly 2 years old now and she still chews things if we leave her alone for a long period of time.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #62147 
Sakura8

Well . . . personally I would say no just because as Jen said, they're high energy dogs. They can really make even a large house seem small. My cousin had a lab but he was constantly out in the country and Hoover was always with him, romping in the rice fields or out at the machine shop. That's the ideal setup for a dog like that. My neighbor's lab . . . psycho. Just flatout psycho. Even for a lab. I don't even watch him when I housesit anymore because, despite me playing with him every day, he destroyed the master bedroom the last time. He also almost rammed my head into a cupboard when I was trying to hold him back so I could dig his ball out from under the bed. They're strong dogs and stubborn. Since your mom isn't in great health, a high-energy dog like that may not be a good fit. If he knocked her over (and they easily can), it would not be good.

My advice? Get a corgi. They're great dogs. They come in a nice manageable size but they have big-dog attitude and a surprisingly loud bark. They don't need a *whole* lot of exercise, not like labs. But you do have to watch their diet so they don't get fat.

If you did want a bigger dog, maybe try a golden retriever? Not quite as high energy and not as liable to pull you off your feet. Shetland Sheepdogs are good too but their coats do require a lot of work. Standard poodles are awesome. They have the benefits of little poodles (ie, the non-shedding coat) but they haven't had the intelligence bred out of them like the tiny toy and teacup poodles.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #62148 
Crowntails

Just got a new betta yesterday. I'm already in love. Ah, I want another one!
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #62149 
Laki

Labs are working dogs. They're super intelligent and when they don't have something to do they get bored and take it out on things. Watch Marley and Me. Are yellow labs the only labs in USA?? There's beautiful brown ("chocolate") and black labs all over the place (and the breed originated in my province, while it was still independent of Canada, yay- high fives!). So, while labs are among my favorite breeds for family loyalty, friendliness, intelligence and everything else they do need someone who can handle their strength and energy.

That said, they can do early training from a professional which makes them one of the leading breeds for various human therapies but what a lot of people don't understand is that at home when the working vest comes off, the dogs are trained to "become" dogs and they can be too much then.

Corgi's are a good medium dog. I would also suggest looking into lazier lap dogs like Newfoundland dogs (I know, total bias coming from me here) or a short coated mastiff. Mastiffs are so docile and loving it makes me want to throw up. After terriers I want a mastiff. In addition to that, maybe adopt an already mature dog so you KNOW what he's like.

I don't want to own and train another puppy but Matt wants the experience. lol oh boy.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #62150 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

What about a standard poodle? They are crazy smart and won't shed (but need to be groomed) you'd have to spend time learning tricks with them but I don't think they need the physical work out that labs do.
I love standard poodles, way smarter than people give credit for. :D I think they'd be a good match. I never understood the hype from those "doodle" dogs as they just have all the qualities of a pure poodle. :p
Mastiffs, prepare for drool. I have a boxer and our couches are covered in dried drool marks. So are the windows, house and car. xD Greyhounds are another option. They don't need a lot of exercise, but they do need it in a closed yard so they don't run off. What about an Airedale terrier? Don't know too much about them. O.o
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese