Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #62661 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I was thinking Oxbow too.
I don't think he smells any worse than the not spayed female we had. O.o Maybe I'm crazy.
I'm gonna dig out our old dog crate and find a little litterbox and use that for him. Weekend project I guess. I wish I could rabbit proof my bedroom but I don't see that happening what with my bad habit of leaving my cables everywhere and the fish. I'm planning in rabbit proofing my room in the apartment since the tanks will all go into the living area.
I'm also worried that all the flooring in our house is slippery.
And I'll have to intro the dogs. That will be interesting. He's been around dogs a lot and he's fine with them. Zara will be drooling a lot, but I know she wouldn't pull anything with me right there so we will have to go slowly. Mocha I have no clue. Neither of them has been around small pets before.O.o I think Zara will love him once she realizes he's a friend, Mocha will probably just ignore him after a while.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #62662 
LittleBettaFish

Wow, cleaned my laptop screen for the first time in ages and it is like a brand new world haha. I forget how much brighter it is when not covered in grime.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #62663 
Laki

Acacia came from a house with a dog and then lived with a pile of cats and then I moved back home with my dog and she was fine. As long as the dog didn't make any sudden movements around her and they became good friends after that because Coco got senile but he was good for chasing things that moved, sometimes he went after the rabbits but was easily called off. (thought I'd share a photo of the two of them outside, Acacia likes to "hide" from the wind)

So your dogs might be quick to startle if the rabbit thumped or something. As for slippery floors, some are fine on them. As long as Oliver is put somewhere Acacia actually walks along the floor to get by, because hopping doesn't work. It's so cute, she looks like a sloth when she walks on the floor lol. I always throw down a fleece blanket but she goes off it.
Attached Images

Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #62664 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yay we got the okay that we can get him this Friday.
Apparently he needs to be groomed and have his nails done, and the cage will be dirty (I haven't been there in forever). He doesn't get any hay right now (I bought him a bag like once last year) or any veggies. Just pellets. He did have the runs last time I saw him but I'm really hoping all he needs is a proper diet. x.x
I think I will go to Petsmart Thursday (I have no school Friday btw) and buy the oxbow pellets, timothy hay (is there a difference buying a high quality brand or are they all the same?), the oxbow orchard grass if they have it for variety, and maybe a toy or something, and I'll see about a small litter box and carefresh bedding but I can only carry so much home on a bus. Oh and a leash if they don't have one I'll ask.

Btw Laki they are both adorable. Rest the little dog's soul.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #62665 
Laki

Oh LBF, I forgot- yes screen cleanings are the best! Like a new pair of glasses!

Yes, oxbow hay is the best. It's mostly personal preference, you want to make sure there's less moisture and more fibre. A lot of them have a lot of dust too, Living World being more dust and un-edible pieces than any other brand. Walmart's brand is okay when it's in season, I'm after buying that one in winter and it's all brown. You want to also look for color, green.
The poor thing, he'll be in a way better home with you. A nice nail clip and groom and soft clean bedding. He probably will be VERY sensitive for a week or two as he gets used to eating hay and good pellets. Since he doesn't get any hay now it explains the runny poop. Timothy and instead of orchard, get oxbow botanical. It's got the purple on the bag (timothy is red, alfalfa is light blue and orchard is green, oat is yellow) Botanical or oat will encourage him to sit and eat the hay, so he will eat less pellets. In fact, it sounds a lot worse than I thought, when you take him home nd get the hay only give him like a small handful of his nasty food, like maybe 1/8 of a cup or less. Just enough so he has it because he will want it while he weans off it and onto hay.

Actually, when I got Akina she was in a typical over-fed mini rex condition and HATED her new diet. I would only start giving your bunny veggies after he's weaned onto hay and proper pellets.

Aw how exciting Friday will be!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #62666 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Okay. :( He's definitely not overfed more likely he's skinny.
Not gonna help that it may be stressful in a new place.

So unlimited Timothy, some botanical, some good pellets mixed with some bad pellets, and no veggies yet? Seems doable. That should come to just under $50. xD I love Petsmart's advertising the pellets: was $14.99 now $15.99! In red letters. xD
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Olympia; 05-21-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #62667 
Laki

Oh Petsmart... *eye roll* I'm sure Oxbow pellets can be cheaper, I think they're 11.99 in one store here and that's WITH the markup!

Yes, the change to a new food and hay-dominant diet might upset his belly so no veggies yet. Oh another thing, to encourage him to forage in the the delicious hay you can toss some plain large oats on it. Acacia literally dies every time I make her a haybag (hay + rattle + pellets + oats in a paper bag) oats will surely be well taken to and it helps put on weight.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #62668 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Where do you get oats?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #62669 
Laki

Grocery store! Breakfast isle, just regular large oats in a bag.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #62670 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Ohh. Last question, if we neutered him, would there be a good chance he could bond with a female? (he's never been around other rabbits).
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese