Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #62751 
Laki

Pine is fine as long as he doesn't pee on it. It's different than rodents, I don't know how. But the phenols are only harmful to rabbits when they're peed on. They're fine for now, just provide him a separate box with shredded newspaper and hay (so he'll know where to pee bc they like to pee where they laze eating hay)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #62752 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

He's definitely been peeing in it.
This is like the smallest rabbit cage pet stores sell. I don't think I can fit a box in here nor do I have one. This is so nasty though I think I'm gonna have to get him the dog crate and litter box.
He's grooming a lot. And eating the piece of hay I offered. He's probably gonna poo on my bed soon.
Also they gave me a half full bag of Timothy hay. The one that I bought him in September. It's a 16oz bag. Guess they didn't give him much. O.o
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #62753 
FishyFishy89

If it smells like pine, toss it. If it's a really faint smell or you don't smell anything, it's fine to use. I used pine shavings for years with my guinea pigs. In the past year-ish, I switched to fleece/uhual pads to save money on bedding.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #62754 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea I think I'm gonna put him in the dog crate sometime this weekend I don't even understand what's in his cage I'll post pics later..
Mocha growled at him and now she's scared of him.
I think he likes being held though...?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Olympia; 05-24-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #62755 
Yuuie

hi all back from work plans got changed a bit and ended up picking up my nephews instead of my sister.
Yuuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #62756 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

He peed on my bed. Of course. This is gonna stink.
So if I put him in a dog crate, and got him a corner litter box, what would I put over the rest? The wood chips annoy me so much. Could I use fleece like Fishy does for her pigs? He's also digging and kicking wood chips everywhere. So I'd rather just put carefresh in a corner litter box.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #62757 
Silverfang

It's been sooooooooooooooooooooo dull. SPEED OF GOVERNMENT.

Also.

I have one those two. Just not sure if it's a she or a he.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #62758 
dramaqueen
Banned

Just pulled the hard drives out of my old computers. What a relief. I didn't want them going in the garbage.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #62759 
Laki

I remember you posting it Silver! Osha is very social :)

Olympia, the bigger the better with litter boxes, a corner one in pet stores is pretty cramped, bunnies LOVE their litter boxes and spend time in them unlike cats who use them just to use. So I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a cat litter box (which dollar stores sell for 1-2$) and if it's tight in the kennel, what odds as long as he uses it. Pack all his hay in it. Since he has 8 month old hay you can use that to spread on the bottom of the litter box so he's encouraged to hop in, and use the fresh hay in his hay rack to eat. Everytime you see him hop in to the litter pan praise him with your new bunny voice (trust me, every bunny owner has a bunny voice) and you can reward him with something like half a raisin (for now, full raisins later when he's healthy)

If he's kicking wood chips, he'll kick carefresh lol yes you can use blankets, sheets, fleece and whatever else. In the summer I like to have a linoleum tile for cooling off but then Acacia chewed the edges -_-' So now I just use blankets all throughout, underneath is newspapers so she doesn't slip and get her foot caught in the bars. Bunnies are messy and since he has had such a rough go at things up until now he might find it necessary to pee and spray and poop on Everything. Nothing is safe. Try to not scold him is all, when he pees simply say "no, bad bunny" in your regular voice and put him in his cage. My mini rex was cuddly and liked being up and the rexes that go to the rescue are generally pretty cuddly too, it might be a breed feature. Enjoy it since he's so plush!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #62760 
FishyFishy89

Oly, you can use fleece/uhual pads(or towels) like I do. If it's a used fleece blanket, make sure softener or dryer sheets hasn't been used on them. The fleece acts as a wicking layer. It wicks away the urine down to the absorbent layer underneath. This way the animal won't be sitting in wet bedding all the time.

I use a single set of fleece(1 layer) and uhual pads(2 layers) for an entire week, some times even longer, and I don't smell a single thing. The only downside to this bedding is if your animal isn't potty trained, you'll have to poop scoop about once a day. I use a little hand held vacuum and my pig is potty trained 90% of the time. So I only poop scoop once every 2 days.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese