Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #63221 
Laki

Thanks guys. Yesterday wasn't so bad. Chloe loved her birthday and all her things. She's 9 now. Wow. I was finishing exams in grade 11 when she was born! o-o

Yuuie, be careful with the rabbits outside. I hear the west gets incredibly hot summers! If you can provide them with a tarp to protect them from the elements and also freeze water bottles for them to cool off on. Rabbits can deal with cold moreso than heat. You don't want them to get heatstroke!

Olympia, the main headline of our weekend paper was about the synthetics in our water. It's scary stuff! Because in our North American go-to-the-pharmacy-for-everything mentality there's nothing we can do to stop it. Pharmacies are corporations and they want money. So, say goodbye to normal swimming water. Wouldn't be surprised if some leaks through to the tap water.

You have to show pics of your rexy boy so we can help with names. The only forum person ever to take my bunny name suggestion was on a now-dead forum and someone got a hottot (the small white ones with black around their eyes and spots on their backs) and I suggested Hammurabi (the Egytian god/leader) lol And it was because it can effectively be shortened to Ham :P

Secondly, you might know more about it bc my most recent source was American but to raise hundreds of thousands of poultry and swine in small cramped overcrowded conditions I think they HAVE to add things to the food to make sure they don't get sick. Once one gets sick it'll be a matter of days before the entire stock needs to be culled. This happens all the time here in Newfoundland with farmed salmon. With all the culls I'm not sure how many batches get to "mature" naturally. Sadly, I think they're pumped full of growth hormones so they can be slaughtered faster for consumption. I know it's near impossible to keep a factory poultry farm without additives. Chickens are so susceptible to illness in factory farm settings. AND since chickens and pigs carry zoonotic diseases (that is, diseases they can transmit to humans) there are extra precautions at work.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means but I wouldn't be surprised to learn the Canadian government is labelling factory farmed meat as "hormone-free" and then not following up on the farm regulations so in fact, there are hormones in the food. Because honestly, and most noticeble, have you EVER noticed the differenc ein the size of turkeys during the year and then at Thanksgiving??

I wouldn't feed that to my kids.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #63222 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

A lot of it is in tap water because we don't filter it out. All these things are mixing and reacting into unknown substances as well.
They don't need hormones, broiler chickens grow really fast. We raised them at my grandma's under normal farm settings. While the other chickens go out in the day to forage, by 4 weeks the broilers stay in the coop all day eating grain by choice. They are just hardwired to eat a ridiculous amount to grow really fast. They're like a lesser chicken basically.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #63223 
Laki

I read about those. Such a sin what we have done to chickens.

Making mac and cheese, Nanny style, for my dinner since Matt isn't here to stop me lol
Old 06-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #63224 
Nibblez

Just had a failed attempt at breeding my bettas, kinda frustrating seeing the male just constantly not being able to embrace the female and see all the unfertilized eggs just fall while the male just goes straight back to building his bubble nest.
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #63225 
Laki

Good luck!

I just ate 2 enormous bowls of mac and cheese. Very heavy stuff. Now I want to go to my room and read while I fall into a coma.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #63226 
FishyFishy89

GoJo died. No matter what I tried, I couldnt pin point the ammonia source. My last try is to re-cycle my betta tank.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #63227 
Laki

Oh no!! I'm so sorry :(
Old 06-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #63228 
djembekah

Oh Fishy I'm sorry :( are you going to start from scratch?
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #63229 
Yuuie

sorry to hear that fishy.
hi all back from work was a good day started rather slow though and out cash in back up not sure how or even when but that is not good either way. everything else was more or less good so unless i have forgotten how to count... i let the other manager know since she closed last night and it boggled her too. i'll keep an eye on the bunnies i know our summers are rather on the hot side but then i do hear we well have more or less a wet summer so was thinking of trying to bring them back in if it gets to wet out.
Yuuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #63230 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
Oh Fishy I'm sorry :( are you going to start from scratch?
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm guessing so. I left what decor is in there and the same media. Just added some pure ammonia to start a cycle. Hopefully in a month-ish things will balance back out.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese