Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #63261 
djembekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
I heard you want a high energy dog.... How about a JRT mix?! Shelters are packed with them bc people don't understand the energy requirements. I had to walk Coco up to 4x a day on his high-energy days. And afterwards those walks included a 15-30 minute intense chase-tug play session. I'm telling you, you will be turning down hanging out with friends and sleepovers bc you'll have to walk your dog! Guaranteed! And for a long time. Terriers live forever.
that'd be cool! i can't have one yet, but i definitely will be keeping that in mind. i certainly plan on a shelter dog. it might not be until i move out or get a better job at least. but i'd love a dog i can walk for miles ;)
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #63262 
Laki

NP! The shelters here are packed with them and shepherd cross dogs. Oh and labs and lab crosses. Mostly lab x shepherds ;) They are really alert and keen on your emotions too. At least that was my experience with Coco, up until his last day. Willing to do anything at anytime!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #63263 
LittleBettaFish

Obedience is a great way of tiring active dogs out. Our oldest girl can walk for hours and come home still raring to go. All I do if I am just walking her is creating a fitter and fitter dog.

However, if I incorporate in a short session of obedience work or something she has to think about (the other day we went around a course of horse cross-country jumps at the local park) she gets mentally tired and is happy to come home and crash.

Also, trying to switch my juveniles onto pellets and they are not liking it. I have left a bunch in there so hopefully they will pick at them as they soften up.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #63264 
djembekah

There was a beautiful boxer cross the local shelter posted on petfinder. i wanted her but she waa snatched up fast. there's also a sweet looking young lab mix. i am probably for now just going to try training Zoey but she just never did well on a leash. guess i have a project!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #63265 
Laki

There you go. Here's a story, I'll try to keep it short. So we got Coco when I was just about 10 years old. We took him out and stuff but then neighborhood kids hit him with hockey sticks and he bit them. From then on mom wouldn't let us take him out. He lived inside until he was about 7 years old. Then we moved to a place without a b-y so we HAD to walk him. Mom hated this and tried to "train" him but was so nervous on the leash that he lunged at people so my sister and I had to "train" him.

We would tie his leash to a clothesline and take him to a school's field to let him blow off steam. But we would always have control by holding on to the clothesline thing. We would commence "training" after he ran for 15 minutes or so. Some dogs work best when they're tired, like LBF's dogs :) mental stimulation goes a long way. Physical stimulation was effective on my wild terrier.

After a couple years of that, Coco was very responsive to our voice while walking "cross the street", "be good", "that's a little dog", "where's Dusti"(our old tomcat)...etc.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #63266 
djembekah

how cool!! I bet Zoey would get used to it if i really worked with her.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #63267 
LittleBettaFish

Hmm I think my killifish are trying to spawn. I just put some java moss in their tank and the male and female are both in it. Guess they do like their new tank.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #63268 
dramaqueen
Banned

We found a house. Yay! It's brand new construction and has everything we want. I'm not going to have a huge bedroom but I'll have an office where I can keep my computer and some of my fish. Lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #63269 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yay, dq!
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #63270 
dramaqueen
Banned

We won't be able to get into it for another 4 or 5 weeks, though. But that's ok. My SILsaid there was no rush. She has been very nice and patient with me using the security system.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese