Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2013, 01:08 AM   #63951 
Sakura8

But what's the point of raising an endangered species for food? Raise that species for conservation and raise another for food, I suggest.

Beautiful koi angel, Fishy! Stunning! And now I'm jealous. So jealous. I want angels but I'd have to get a mated pair because I don't have a big enough tank to grow out a gang of juvies.

Lost the last of my original girls today, my little Plum Pretty with the lipstick. She was 5 days shy of her 2nd year with me.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:04 AM   #63952 
djembekah

I'm sorry Meg :( Hoover is sorry too

Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:04 AM   #63953 
Hadoken Kitty

Popping in again! Trying to make it more often!!! I want to breed my males..but...there's just so much to dooo in terms of re-setting up tanks...and all that junk. Q.Q
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:05 AM   #63954 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Mea fishy is here!!!!!

Ahhh how pretty!!!
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #63955 
Laki

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
TY everyone!
Has anyone ever given their fish garlic?
Garlic soaked food.. Never tried actual garlic though.

Today I actually have 'most' of off! I work 7-10 pm bc one place thinks I'm working at the other place today so I won't even get a phone call! Gotta A LOT of cleaning to do, go out find bunny food and stuff my face with food.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #63956 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
But what's the point of raising an endangered species for food? Raise that species for conservation and raise another for food, I suggest.

Lost the last of my original girls today, my little Plum Pretty with the lipstick. She was 5 days shy of her 2nd year with me.
Well if you're breeding it, you are continuing the line. Selling off stock for food/other breeders provides you money (because with farm animals most people don't wanna breed them unless there's profit, the hobby industry is just too small and hobby farms don't generally have enough animals for a whole population). So you keep the nicest stock for food, and selling them keeps fueling your efforts. So you have incentive to keep the population going.
Like this pig: American Livestock Breeds Conservancy: Large Black Hog
No one wanted it because it was an outdoor pig, and it's so much easier to keep pigs in heated barns because you don't have to go find them later (and they get a lot more fat laying down all day than they do running around in a forest). But now people have a reborn interest for pigs raised in forests living natural lives, so bam this breed is being saved by people who want to farm pigs outdoors. :D
Most heritage livestock is designed to provide really well in awful conditions where they originated (rainy, bad forage, cold, disease resistant). So while these animals are useless to factory farms, smaller farms are seeing the advantages in raising these for profit.

Sorry to hear. :( Noah sends his love.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #63957 
Laki

Jeez louise, the humidity. Doesn't help that I'm cleaning and ran the dishwasher so now the house is hotter. 2 fans are not enough. My neighbor almost caught me in the basement without my pants on (too hot to wear any! lol)
Old 07-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #63958 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Laki sounds like we've traded weather. It was so humid last week, and now...
-hides in blanket-
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #63959 
Fenghuang

A post on this site reminded me of this (I didn't want to hijack someone else's journal). There's this show on Nat Geo that follows a vet and his practice. I watched one episode one day because it just happened to be on, and it made me sick.

This one guy had this dog for fourteen freaking years without any problems. He himself described the dog as being sweet and loyal and beloved. Then, his niece (or granddaughter) came over one day and was playing rough with the dog. The poor dog was old so she probably had some sore spots and snapped once at the girl. That ONE incident caused the owner to conclude that the dog was vicious and dangerous for people and there was no other option but to put her down. He asked the vet and the vet agreed with him. That episode showed several agonizing minutes of a lively friendly-looking dog playing in the grass and then the next scene, happily following her owner into barn to be euthanized.

Here's a clip from the episode: http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...s/pet-or-pest/

I still can't understand the logic here. There are always risks involved with letting young children play with pets. To me, that just comes across as one person's inability to take responsibility for his own misjudgement and lack of care in allowing a kid to mishandle an animal with only loose supervision.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 07-27-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #63960 
Laki

I'm not clicking that link, the story alone sounds sad enough. I don't need a visual. It seems people look for excuses to rid themselves of their "kids".

So it took me about an hour to figure out my stupid laptop. Seems the "Fn" key likes to be extra sensitive and I've been hitting it and screwing up my mouse and mute and other things without knowing and in frustration. I looked it up on my phone and after a few videos I found what to do. Phew. Close one.

Olympia, there's A LOT of Ontario tourists in St. John's right now. Like, most of the people who come into the shop!! haha They all said the same thing, they came here to escape the heat and humidity there only to find it's even muggier here!

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese