Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #65551 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Don't use soft paws! They are very uncomfy for kitty!
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #65552 
Laki

My sister's cat wore soft paws for a while. He didn't seem to mind them, he didn't seem to pick them with his teeth or seem bothered about "scratching" posts and furniture because he still did the actions. He was playful and all that. I guess one example is not for the whole.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #65553 
PetMania

yay! I feel so accomplished. I got my new rescue settled in, started my java moss farm, and my new betta art thread.
Ugh, now I just have to deal with school.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #65554 
Blue Fish

First off, Happy Late B-Day Laki!! :D

Fishy....ugh, that is a dilemma. :( I agree, I'm not a fan of declawing...but I do know that sometimes it just really is necessary. Have you tried any of those claw cap-type things? They're plastic tips that fit over the cat's existing claws that prevent them from scratching things like furniture, people etc. and are often used as an alternative to declawing.

I have no idea about cost or how often they have to be replaced, but it might be something to look into? :(

Sorry, didn't read the other posts already talking about the soft paws. This is going to sound ridiculous...but could the pug wear goggles for the brief amounts of time that she's near the cat? It sounds insane, but I have carriage horses, and I know some people with carriage dog who ride frequently with them. A few are the larger/more vulnerable-eyed species (like King Charles Spaniels) and the dogs wear specifically-created dog googles while they ride. It protects their eyes from dirt and debris, and the dogs don't seem to care at all. :)
If they were together all the time it really wouldn't be an option, but it sounds like *most* of the time they're not near each other?

One other thought...could the cat wear mittens of some type? I know they make them for dog's paws in the summer heat/snow/ things like that...I wonder if they make something similar for cats? I'd think a heavy felt "boot" would not be all that fun for the cat...but would protect everyone, and wouldn't hurt the cat, just irritate her? I mean, the cat is the aggressor from what you've described, going after Emma on purpose, with nothing being done on Emma's part to instigate other than being alive. I wouldn't want to hurt the cat, but I would not worry too much about making her life a little harder if she's being hateful either. :(

I understand the cat was there first, but you are still the leader, and it is your call as to who can and cannot be part of the group. And it's your call as to how you keep everyone safe until they can decide to live together.

Last edited by Blue Fish; 10-01-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #65555 
FishyFishy89

She's hardly near the cat. There really isn't any predictability as to when she is near the cat. It just randomly happens :/

I spoke with my husband on the issue and explained why I do not like declawing and he gave me an ultimatum. Declaw the cat, or take her back to mom and dad's. I absolutely will do everything in my power to keep her from the latter. Mom and dad force her outside, give her the least care possible and when it comes to the time that she needs vet care, mom will do what SHE wants because she thinks that since the cat is in their house the cat is automatically hers. She put her own cat to sleep because she had mites! Mites is totally treatable! My guinea pig was treated for mites and lived many happy years afterwords!
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #65556 
dramaqueen
Banned

A friend of mine adopted a stray years ago that had no claws but he sure did have sharp teeth! He bit several people including her. And he was good at catching mice and anything else he could get his paws on. He left a mouse on my doorstep one time.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #65557 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
She's hardly near the cat. There really isn't any predictability as to when she is near the cat. It just randomly happens :/

I spoke with my husband on the issue and explained why I do not like declawing and he gave me an ultimatum. Declaw the cat, or take her back to mom and dad's. I absolutely will do everything in my power to keep her from the latter. Mom and dad force her outside, give her the least care possible and when it comes to the time that she needs vet care, mom will do what SHE wants because she thinks that since the cat is in their house the cat is automatically hers. She put her own cat to sleep because she had mites! Mites is totally treatable! My guinea pig was treated for mites and lived many happy years afterwords!
Why would you only have those two options? I hope that which ever decision you make, your cat ends up in good hands.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #65558 
Laki

The cat is senior right?? Reputable vets won't put them under anesthetic for declawing if the cat is older. Healing and recovery would be too traumatic.

Just spent a few great hours with my fam. Gave me some nice things for my bday and had some munchies :o Of course, like the adult I am, I spilled ice cream all over myself bc I was eating it off a plate and it melted while I was talking. -_- #hashtaglifedrama

Also, my sister is coming home from Montreal on Oct 17!!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #65559 
PetMania

De-clawing is out if it is a senior cat. And you're saying that your fam won't take optimum care of your beloved cat? Then that option should be history, too.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #65560 
LittleBettaFish

Eek it is so windy here. Apparently gusts are going to reach up to 120km/h and we have so many trees in our area. Plus it is supposedly going to be stormy with hail later on tonight. Right when we are out driving in peak hour to take our dogs to the chiro.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese