Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #66651 
LittleBettaFish

It seems like cancer, kidney problems, diabetes and hyperthyroidism are pretty common in older cats.

We have the cancer and the hyperthyroidism, and his kidneys were not in great shape when we last had them checked. However, that was when he was also very sick and dehydrated so I'm not sure what they are like now.

At the moment he has not shown any nausea. He did have his thyroid tablet compounded into a palatable kibble, but since he has been more picky with his food I have had to go back to putting a tablet down his throat.

He doesn't mind too much. Probably because he gets a chunk of butter to lick afterwards.

The vet said feed him whatever he will eat. At the moment that seems to be various raw meats and ... fancy feast. I'm sure if I got a tin of whiskas he would be all over that as well haha
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #66652 
Laki

Wow, maybe domesticity and longevity may not be in the best interests of felines! dogs are different, it seems cats get so much sicker! Little things.

Hope things are excellent in the long run for Bandit and Mo!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #66653 
Yuuie

woot finally home was a busy day in general
Yuuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #66654 
Yuuie

morning all
Yuuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #66655 
bryanacute

I have bad allergies and feel like dying. Agh.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #66656 
FishyFishy89

Actually they've linked many cheap pet kibbles to cancers in our dogs and cats. When kibble wasn't around, people fed their animals raw and the animals lived longer and healthier. But, people got lazier and "smart" people took advantage of this and created the kibble. Now a days, kibble products are getting much more lower quality. Some kibbles use beloved pets as their meat source now.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #66657 
LittleBettaFish

I've heard that claim about using dead pets, but I think it is probably bogus. However, I agree that a lot of cat/dog foods are very low quality and full of by-products and fillers.

My dad used to feed his cat the worst home-brand dry food, and that cat died at about six years old from kidney cancer. I still don't think that is coincidence.

Our old cat Bandit used to be on Whiskas for years before we knew any better. Our other three cats are all on Wellness or Eaglepack Holistic, but also get raw meat and chicken necks a few times a week.

I also hate that vets push Eukanuba/Hills Science products. This leads people to think they are premium foods, when really they are not.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #66658 
FishyFishy89

It isn't bogus. There was a video where someone who either worked for the company or the FDA admitted that there were pets being used as their meat source. I will have to find the video....

I'm not sure about Eukanuba, but I do remember a time where Hills was an OKAY kibble. But I never fed it because I fed a high quality kibble at the time. Hills started off with the 1st two ingredients being chicken and chicken meal. Then they took out chicken, and the 1st ingredient was chicken meal. Still not bad, chicken meal should be taken over chicken because chicken is mostly water, so when they use it for kibble, they're really not getting that much meat out of it for the kibble. As opposed to chicken meal being actual cooked chicken products put together to make a "meal". Anyways, it was still full of crap ingredients after the chicken meal so I still didn't like it. THEN after that, it became chicken meal BY PRODUCT. And that's where it hit the "no okay" list for me to recommend it for those on a strict budget but wanting a high quality than say Pedigree for their dog.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #66659 
Silverfang

Mother placed an offer on a place yesterday. Keeping me up
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #66660 
FishyFishy89

Here's an article with a video of part of an interview of a former AAFCO President. He states there is no law that says they cannot use pets as their meat source. So when a bag of kibble says "meat" or "meat meal" or something along those lines, you should be very suspicious of it. Why not actually LABEL what you are using? Maybe they actually have something to hide, like using pets as their meat or maybe even horses as their meat. Many people are very much against the use of horses as a meat source.
Do They Really Use Euthanized Dogs and Cats to Make Pet Food?

This was the video I was trying to remember and find. It is not a confession, no. But he basically says the companies CAN use pets in their kibbles and there is nothing stopping them if they do use pets in their kibble.

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese