Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #69771 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Oh my god. Caesar Milan. See, he's brilliant because he is so successful with marketing and whatever so people see his shows and books everywhere. Also, LOTS of people have problems with their dogs so they turn to the easiest, and in CM case cheaper, source of dealing with the problem. Milan hand picks his cases and then broadcasts the 'success' stories on his show. Bravo! Looks like he knows his stuff. I hate the man and I don't feel bad about his messy divorce.

Actually, yes I do. Nobody deserves that.

Enough people like him that he's now got like 4 shows - a growing audience. I guess you have to assume that only people without dog problems like him.... since it's so terrible right? Cause why would someone continue watching if it didn't help them, or made things worse? But his viewership increases. And they obviously share the same philosophy, or else they'd hate him because that's how it is with dog people. Interesting how the people who share his philosophy must not have problems with their dogs by that rationale.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:23 AM   #69772 
Yuuie

morning all
Yuuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #69773 
Agent13
Reference Team

Caesar's methods really aren't his .. They are long time used effective methods .. He is just good at showing them to others and teaching . I did things same as him from before he was on tv .. Before I hardly watched tv . My daughter has never watched his show yet naturally on her own decided to train our dog the same way. She instinctually as a dog person felt it made complete sense . She's 5 .. And she can train nearly any dog .
Wether anyone dislikes him or not it's an effective methodology ... If you find him offensive for whatever reason then look it up another way so you don't have to see him lol.

There's nothing special about the man ... A 5yr old can do what he does (within limitations due to size at that age) . I didn't like my algebra teacher .. Yet turns out she knew what she was doing

Sent from Petguide.com App
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #69774 
jaysee
Reference Team

So in 15 seasons of South Park making fun of people, Caesar is the ONLY person of which they did not make fun. They depicted him in a positive light, for some odd reason....
Old 03-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #69775 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
So in 15 seasons of South Park making fun of people, Caesar is the ONLY person of which they did not make fun. They depicted him in a positive light, for some odd reason....
No
They made fun of him. His methods didn't work on Cartmen and hr ended up crying for help.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #69776 
FishyFishy89

And FYI the dominance theory has been proven wrong by science. Dogs dont need a pack. They dont need an alpha. They need someone who respects them, is understanding and compassionate. Not someone who will smack them, intimenidate, confuse and scare them for everything their owner feels they did wrong. If the dog has done something you feel is wrong, it's your fault for not showing what is right. If you must correct, correct yourself.

FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #69777 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
No
They made fun of him. His methods didn't work on Cartmen and hr ended up crying for help.

What are you talking about?? They did not make fun of him, it DID work, and that's not at all how the episode goes. The episode is title TSsssst, for anyone who would like to see for themselves. Definitely one of the funniest episodes they've ever made. I am not going to e a spoiler though and explain the episode.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:23 PM   #69778 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I hope it's in my TiVo :). Can't wait to see this one!
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #69779 
LittleBettaFish

Having seen how ignorant the average dog owner is in regards to interpreting dog behaviour/body language, I am not surprised it is a popular show. I admit I am a terrible dog trainer, but there was one episode where he got bitten by a resource guarding labrador because he ignored all the calming signals it was throwing off and decided to intimidate it and then misread its body language further and give it a pat.

A lot of very good trainers in the industry dislike him and his methods. I used to watch his episodes with an open mind (I am not someone is believes in positive reinforcement only) but stopped watching after he bailed up a poor German Shepherd in its backyard. It was supposedly aggressive, but seemed to be doing its best to get away. He would have got the same result if he climbed in with our nervous girl Nike. I think a lot of dogs would react similarly if a strange man first came into their yard, and then pursued them in an aggressive manner.

We have had this discussion before on the Coffeehouse Chat so I know where you (Jaysee) stand on the issue. My point before was more the fact that since the rise in popularity of his show I have seen a correlating rise in the amount of dog people who talk about being 'alpha' and things like 'alpha rolling'.

Speaking of dogs, we had to wait 45 minutes with two of ours in the packed vet clinic yesterday. They got their vaccinations and as our girl has some sort of squishy cyst under the skin the vet decided to take a sample. She did this by just sticking a syringe in it and drawing out all this brown fluid. Eos didn't even flinch. It must be great to be a dog and not understand what a needle is or what they are talking about when they say they are going to get a sample
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #69780 
Laki

Going along with someone who said dog owners all have differing opinions, let's leave it at that. We can argue until our faces turn blue (or fingers fall off) and I believe we had this discussion before so...

I am no going to Tssst my mastiff or terrier when we get them (this is years down the road btw). It didn't work on my old terrier, rather it encouraged his leash aggression and anxiety. Understanding them and their language is integral to having a positive relationship. There will always be contention: dogs rely on pack mentality, dogs don't need alphas etc... This discussion won't sway anybody. I think Caesar has interesting shows, I watch clips on YT but it ends up making me judge the situations he's in and the dog is in and helps me base my out-of-practice training and what I will do in certain situations. Then I watch Victoria Stillwell and apply the same philosophy. I by no means think Caesar is an idiot and I wouldn't compare him to a 5 year old. There are different developmental stages at 5 to base that on.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese