Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #70161 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I don't think even if I had a gun I would stand much of a chance against the trained military personnel at the barracks near our house.

Well, ordinary people fought for and won our freedom and independence from the greatest military force on the planet at that time
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:34 AM   #70162 
djembekah

...my weapon of choice is THE POWER OF MUSIC!!!!!!!!!

Also friendship
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #70163 
Laki

I don't care if there is an online rule against posting about Hitler, what is important is that it happened. We cannot change history but we are the only ones who can prevent something like that happening again; as an historian I will fight to my grave defending my right to study history, and my duty to educate others. Due to our age of online learning, there is no way we can side step Hitler or any of the other dictators or tyrants.
With that, I feel obligated to add that most Germans did not feel the need to arm themselves against Hitler during the rise of the Third Reich. Rather, most Germans admired Hitler and would do anything to fight for the cause (being that of racial cleansing in support of a whole Germanic, Aryan Europe). Countries surrounding Germany were the first to be annexed (Austria, Danzig in Poland, Sudetenland in Czechoslovakia, later the rest of Czecho, Yugoslavia and many others) while Hitler reached farther and farther outside of his country to gain influence. Keep in mind, also, that Hitler was viewed as a superb leader with a head on his shoulders, a very bright man as seen by American presidents, Churchill, the Canadian PM and other world leaders. He was not stopped until he invaded the rest of Poland in 1939 so between 1934 and 1939 Hitler was not feared.
My grandfather lived in Yugoslavia at the time and he was conscripted into war when Germany invaded in 1941; so he fought with the Germans against the Allies. So did all the other countries Germany invaded during the war (with the exception of France). Opa and his comrades were not fearful of the Germans or of Hitler and in keeping with the mind set at the time, Antisemitism was a widely accepted scapegoat mentality for Europe's problems.
Anyway, all I am arguing here is that Hitler was not necessarily a feared leader. Sure, he got his position through bullying but the masses (the people) loved and supported him and that was all he needed. The minority (political opposers etc) were simply imprisoned.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #70164 
jaysee
Reference Team

If it weren't for the war reparations and the treaty of Versailles, hitler probably wouldn't have ever come to power. You can't strip people of their dignity and kick them while they are down and not expect them to latch on to a charismatic leader promising to restore their national pride. Desperate people will do anything they can, even following someone they don't like or agree with.

There were debates within the government over what side we should enter WW2 on. Some people thought it was important to back a winner. Not really a surprise - there were people who didn't think we should fight England for our independence for essentially the same reason.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #70165 
Yuuie

morning all
Yuuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #70166 
Laki

Then there's also the fact that USA was not directly involved with armed conflict during WW2 (until the end of 1941) but were supplying the munitions and arms to Allies at a significant discount.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #70167 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Godwin's law (or Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1" —​ that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism.
This was what I was thinking of. Wasn't saying it was wrong to bring Hitler up. I meant it tongue-in-cheek.

I want to celebrate the fact that for the past two days we have had actual rain. I wondered what the neighbours were thinking though as I went out in my rain jacket with a bowl and a fish net to harvest some mosquito larvae. That is called dedication to the hobby haha.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:54 AM   #70168 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Gotta get this essay done... Ugh. I like writing and it's a very interesting subject, but it's still an essay.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:04 AM   #70169 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Isn't there a rule somewhere on the Internet about Hitler being mentioned in online discussions?
If that were true then I must break alot of rules since all my classes for my Masters are online AND my concentration is WW2 or it would be if I had money to pay for this semester

On the bright side - No classes means NO ESSAYS. I HATE writing. And Math. Amd Lettuce. Lettuce is the root of all evilness, along with spiders. yup.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 04-10-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #70170 
Laki

Oh thanks LBF! Ha I guess that law is pretty accurate then! :p Tiki, isn't there a way for you to get a loan to finish your masters? It must be awful hard to want to finish a program but for lack of money you cannot. I don't know it how it works there and I sure as hell don't know how expensive it is there. My uni is the 2nd cheapest in Canada and I need a 100% student loan to get me through it.

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese