Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #9511 
diablo13

Oh, god, yes I am going to keep 1 or 2 of the platy fry, but I plan to cycle the five gallon for a Dwarf Puffer, and I can't get a heater and a filter right now, I'm broke :( could I cup him for awhile each day so she can relax, or would that be cruel?

Edit:I think Pumpkin is stressed, not exhausted, because Diablo hasn't seen her in awhile so she chilling out on the bottom. I don't know what to do, i was going to try and get my dad to buy me a filter to cycle the 5, but no way is he going to get both heater and filter. And that water is already cold enough, it doesn't need a filter to cool it down more :(

Last edited by diablo13; 08-13-2011 at 02:05 PM.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #9512 
Sakura8

:/ That's why I said you wouldn't like it. I mean, you may have to wait a few months for your fry to grow up and go into the tank with Pumpkin before you can take Diablo out of the 5 gallon and get the puffer. But on the other hand, patience is a virtue and it gives you time to get the heater and filter and cycle the tank. But it still sucks because you have to wait several months to get your puffer.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #9513 
diablo13

And Diablo has to be in more cold water...... I cupped him, I guess I'll clean his tank if I'm going to put him back in.......if only pancake had lived.....
Old 08-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #9514 
Sakura8

Yeah. I'm sorry, I hate being the bearer of bad news. But it does give you time to get the heater etc. And the more platies you can put in with Pumpkin before adding Diablo, the better.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #9515 
diablo13

If I got a divider, would that work? Like, put Diablo on one side and Pancake on the other?
Old 08-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #9516 
fishcurl

good afternoon, everyone!

I just spent the last two hours changing Flambé's tank >_<

I moved plants out of QT and into his tank, did some pruning, had to take his arch out and put it back in (not a good idea, never doing THAT again). Messed with the baffle. Messed with rhizomes and not burying them. Spilled lots of water. Swore lots.

ahem.

All this to say I'm going to take back the other 5 gallon Eclipse. I've thought about it a long time and realized that what I really wanted was a smaller tank so I could raise a couple of ADFs and nano marimos. I also don't have a lot of space.

Serves me right for buying something on a whim >_<
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #9517 
diablo13

Sorry about your tank :(
Old 08-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #9518 
Sakura8

Hi fishcurl. Actually for ADFs, the Eclipse 5 will work quite well. I'm not sure I'd get something smaller.

Diablo, unh, no not long term. Eventually, like within a few weeks, you're going to have to release those fry into the 10g. If you keep them in the breeder much longer, their growth will be stunted and they may grow up deformed. You'll have to put yarn tassels in so they can hide and let them be in there with Pumpkin. You may have a few eaten but with the plants and the yarn mops, most should survive. If you really wanted to divide the tank, you'd have to do it lopsided so Diablo only got like 3 inches worth. I don't think he'd be happy that way.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #9519 
diablo13

Hmmmmm, wait, Eureka! I know they recommend 10 gallons for platies, but that's because they should be kept in groups, right? Well, maybe if I only have Pumpkin, I could keep her in the five gallon! I really am sorry for making up all if these alternatives, I just want all my fish to be happy, like Diablo having a heater and what-not
Old 08-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #9520 
Sakura8

Yes, you could easily keep Pumpkin in the 5 gallon. But, uh, what about the fry and Diablo? You really ARE going to have to release them from the breeder soon.

Tags
0_o, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese