Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #1 
leoyys

Question I need advice

Hey my betta friends,

I need advice...

Now I am thinking of keeping 3 more betta boys OR a group of girls in a tank. I really like the beautiful appearance of the boys but I also like to see some fishy swimming together...

What should I do?
leoyys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:15 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Check out this thread:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=

It will kind of go through people's experiences with sororities. If you have room to keep 3 males separate, that's good. Some people keep females because they only have room for one tank and females can usually live peacefully together.

If you have any more questions about keeping sororities, I'd suggest you contact Here Fishy Fishy Fishy. Hope this helps.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #3 
HayrideHaunter

Sakura your link is dead >.<

Its not a good idea to house males together unless its a divided tank...the poor guys go crazy and will fight =O

girls I've read various things about...I'd say do some serious research before starting a sorority (i dunno if youve done that already?) because theyre supposed to be really difficult at first =P
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #4 
kathstew

I agree that boys are beautiful, with their long fins and bright colors. But females are also beautiful! Keeping three boys in a divided tank would be OK.
A sorority is very difficult at first. I don't know you so I can't say if I would reccomend it for you or not. You need to be able to make quick decisions on when the female fighting becomes too much, how to treat the rips in the fins, judge who alpha is etc.

I have a sorority, and it was very difficult. Not just from the above mentioned, but from the stress of worrying about the fighting between the girls.
Do you have female bettas now? Although they aren't that much different from males, maybe you should get some experience with a female betta before leaping into a sorority. I had two females for about three months before I started my sorority.
If you do decide a sorority, you need to do a lot of research, and ensure you have a big enough tank. You need at least a 10 gallon, but the bigger the better.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #5 
Burd

It honestly depends on how big of a tank you're getting and how patient you're willing to be. :)

Dividing up 3 males and keeping them in decorated segments is the easiest thing imo. They'll flare and get pissy but you don't risk any real fighting like you do in a sorority with multiple unseparated females. As kathstew said, sororities stress both you and the fish and you risk your smaller or less aggressive females dying from stress or.. being eaten. Sororities also require plenty of hiding places and things to break line of site.

I love my girls, don't get me wrong. But my boys are much easier to keep imo.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Check out this thread:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=

It will kind of go through people's experiences with sororities. If you have room to keep 3 males separate, that's good. Some people keep females because they only have room for one tank and females can usually live peacefully together.

If you have any more questions about keeping sororities, I'd suggest you contact Here Fishy Fishy Fishy. Hope this helps.
Aww man, so it is. Thanks for telling me. Try this one:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=72465
Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #7 
leoyys

Thank you very much for all the information and advice. I've made the decision: since I am not going to breed the fish, I think I'd better stick to keep beautiful males. :)
leoyys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Good idea. Stick with what you are most comfortable with. And you can always just get one female and two more males if you want. As long as you keep them all separate from each other.