Housing
What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 79-80 farenheit
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? frozen and freeze-dried bloodworms, Top Fin Color-Enhancing Betta Bits, New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula .5mm Sinking Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 bloodworm, 2 Top Fin, and 3-5 New Life a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 2 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-30% every 2 days, 50% once a week
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.2-7.5
Hardness: very soft
Alkalinity: 120 ideal

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Hasn't
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Literally within a few minutes he went from fine to can't get down. He tries to swim down but floats back up immediately.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About ten minutes ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? So far, I put him in his little Petco cup but he hates it and is flailing around a lot.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm guessing a year old before I got him, which was a month and a half ago

It's so strange. He was normal when I went to feed him. Just on a whim, I decided to feed him a few TetraColor flakes I bought to cycle a tank. He ate a bite but could not follow the rest down to the bottom. So I started staring at him and he swam and wiggled along the top of the tank but when I put my head down at the same level as the bottom of his tank, he didn't follow me down. I put him in his cup where normally he swims along the bottom sulking. Now he is still floating very much at the top of the cup. I may put him back in his tank because he is getting rather upset in the cup. I will turn off his filter, too, so it doesn't blow him around.

I've seen plenty of cases where they can't rise to the surface but none where they can't drop to the bottom. Watching him now in his tank, he can manage midwater before floating back up. Aside from the extra effort required to go down, he is mostly normal. Breathing a little harder than usual.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:23 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Update: Moved him into a 3.5g hospital tank so I can see if he passes anything. He's not bloated though but definitely exhibiting swim bladder issues. He can now force himself down to the bottom of the hospital tank but he seems to be experiencing "floaty butt" and soon floats back up. Also fed him the most microscopic piece of pea I could possibly give him and the good news is he was able to follow it down to the bottom to eat it. I will also be putting some epsom salts in there with him, too. I honestly can't tell if he's constipated or not because he has gravel in his tank and he's not bloated at all. My mother's going to scream when she wakes up and finds him out on the kitchen table with his heater all plugged in but I literally ran out of room in my room.

Last edited by Sakura8; 06-12-2011 at 03:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Morning update: epsom salts seem to be helping, swimming much better, still no passage of waste. Silly brat had me sitting up with him all night worried sick. :/
Old 06-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #4 
Bettawolf19

Sounds a bit like what my halfmoon went through. Though he was stuck on his side at the top and had a hard time keeping right and going down. (post here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=71552)

I treated him with 2 tsp/gal epsom salt for 10 days and within the first day or so he was better. I ended up having to switch his food to a smaller pellet and it seems to do well for him. Every once in a while he'll get a bit floaty after I feed him but he does better after an hour or so. Halfmoons are prone to swim bladder problems I found out. If anything wait for someone elses opinion on the matter. :) Good luck!
Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #5 
Punki

Aw, im glad hes feeling better. "floaty butt" is becoming more of a description now. when coraline had it i searched and had no results XD Not now its my biggest fear to see of course :)) Good job of being quick to get him treated :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Bettawolf, did you do the epsom salts for all 10 days? Sherman must have been constipated but I just couldn't tell with that darn gravel and he never bloated. I'm actually going to switch over to sand so I can see better. Sigh, halfmoons are so pretty but this one's going to turn me into a fishy hypochondriac.

Punki, you've coined a new betta health term. "Floaty butt." It's a good description, though. I'm glad he's doing better too but he sure had me scared for a while. By nature, he likes to swim on the bottom more than the top so once he realized he couldn't get down there, of course that's where he wanted to be and he was determined about it. I'd watch him dive down and flap those little fins so hard to stay down and then he'd give up and float right back up until he actually hit the top of the water like it was a ceiling, all of his fins limp.

He did finally pass something so that's a good sign. I'll continue to fast him today but should I also continue to give him a teeny bit of pea?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #7 
Bettawolf19

Yep. Full 10 days :). You fast them for at least the first 4. I know when my Jude had it I could never see any bloat he would jsut always be on his side. I agree ont he the Halfmoons being pretty. I havea 10 gal in the works with sand for him soon and planning on getting a sponge filter so I don't ahve to worry to much ont he current. Luckily enough I don't think he's a tailbiter so thats always good. :) When he gets bored he just goes flare at Blackbird whos housed next to him.

I wouldn't give him any more pea apperently its a big no no now. Just keep fasting him until his floatiness goes down.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #8 
Sakura8

I did get a hold of some frozen daphnia too. Should I fast him entirely or also give him a teeny bit of daphnia?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:10 AM   #9 
Bettawolf19

Daphnia is good for that I heard. I've never tried it though. I say fast him for a couple more days and if it doesn't help then try a bit? Maybe soemone has a better idea? Or more experience in the area.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:32 AM   #10 
Sakura8

I think I'll fast him for at least one more day and if he hasn't passed any more waste in that time, give him some daphnia. I'm fasting my girl Goldikova too, just to be on the safe side. I have a sneaking suspicion I feed too many pellets.