Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #1 
Hirelena

Sick Betta, Maybe Dropsy?

Hello Everyone, I have a bit of a problem with my Gadrian. He was once in a 1.5 Heated Gal. tank, but he seemed to become lethargic staying at the bottom of the tank, standing on his head, or tail. So I figured, the standing on the head was because of boredom, so I moved him to the 1 Gal tank on my dresser.

But then he became worst, hiding within his cave, laying on the bottom of the tank, staying on his tail, and seemed to struggle to get food or air. I peered at him today as he laid on top of the cave and I think I saw some raised scales right after his gills. Hes white so it was hard for me to see it unless I really peered at it.

Here is some information:
Housing
What size is your tank? 1 Gal
What temperature is your tank? About 83
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tried pellets, and Betta Tropical Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Normally once a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner for tap water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Hes pineconed a bit right after his gills

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Stays at the bottom unless she moves up to breathe, or eat. But he seems to struggle with it. He is also hiding alot in his cave which is very abnormal. He has also lost alot of color,he was pinkish, but now hes a washed white. x.x
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Maybe a week or so ago he started acting funny so I changed to a different tank. And I just noticed the scales.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?No, not sure how to treat.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know, I have had him about a year.

Please help my little fabu. fish!

Last edited by Hirelena; 06-12-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Hirelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #2 
Creat

It might be dropsy if it is you can dose him with epsom salt 1 tsp/ gal and try raising the temp a few more degrees also start doing water changes once a day all the time. Pics are also helpful.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #3 
DarkMoon17

Is he still eating?
Has he lost weight?
When he does swim, does he have trouble?
Definitely start an epsom salt treatment. His 1 gal tank needs to be clean 100% every day, especially now that he is ill.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:42 PM   #4 
Hirelena

Thank you everyone for answering so quickly. I dont know if I can raise up the temp though, its kind of this heating pad with no dial or anyway to change it. But I will be doing a water change now every day now that you two have said it. Luckily I have epson salt at the house to use and Ill start that right away.

Normally when I go up to his tank and open the lid he gets excited about food, but now he hides so he doesnt respond like normal. I tap the tank gently to get his attention and if I can coax him out he may go up to eat after a few minutes and struggle.

I am not sure if he lost weight...but his color is very washed out.

I hope this is enough information for everyone! I hate to see him like this since he normally is very energetic.
Hirelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:34 AM   #5 
Sakura8

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with Gadrian. We'll certainly do all we can to help you. In the future, though, a 1g tank should be changed at least every other day, preferably every day. It might seem like a lot of work, but it will go by fast in a 1g.

It also sounds like Gadrian may be experiencing some swimbladder issues. This is because of the dropsy, which will push his organs into his swimbladder and cause him to lose control over it. Once we get him down to normal size again, he should swim better and not stand on his head.

The epsom salt treatment will help him if he has constipation, which will cause the bloating and pineconing of his scales. Have you noticed if he's been passing waste recently?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #6 
DarkMoon17

I'm not sure if constipation causes dropsy. It causes swim bladder issues but I haven't read about constipation alone causing dropsy... Dropsy is due to a fluid imbalance which is usually caused by internal bacterial infections or even internal parasites. If he has not pooped recently then some of his swimming issues might be due to constipation but you should consider getting him a medication that treats for the bacteria that commonly cause dropsy.... I find Maracyn II works pretty well and can be used in combination with epsom salt. It is light sensitive so you will need to keep his tank dark during use.

Medicated food works best for fighting internal infections but if he is not eating then you can't really use those. See if you can get him feeling well enough to eat with the epsom/Maracyn treatment.

You can lower the water level so he can reach the surface more easily.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
I'm not sure if constipation causes dropsy. It causes swim bladder issues but I haven't read about constipation alone causing dropsy... Dropsy is due to a fluid imbalance which is usually caused by internal bacterial infections or even internal parasites. If he has not pooped recently then some of his swimming issues might be due to constipation but you should consider getting him a medication that treats for the bacteria that commonly cause dropsy.... I find Maracyn II works pretty well and can be used in combination with epsom salt. It is light sensitive so you will need to keep his tank dark during use.

Medicated food works best for fighting internal infections but if he is not eating then you can't really use those. See if you can get him feeling well enough to eat with the epsom/Maracyn treatment.

You can lower the water level so he can reach the surface more easily.
Hmm, yeah, I think I phrased that wrong. Dropsy is in itself just a symptom of a disease, not a disease itself. I guess I meant to say that dropsy causes bloating which causes swimbladder disorders. ^_^ Thanks for clarifying, Darkmoon.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote