Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2011, 04:12 AM   #11 
Sakura8

Sounds like a plan. It may work, you just never know. I certainly hope it does. The most humane euthanization method is the method that is also the absolute hardest to do, and that's decapitation. If you can, you might consider taking her to a veterinarian for euthanization. It will spare you the trauma. :( But I really, really, really hope the medicine and salts work. I'll be thinking of you. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:15 AM   #12 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Sounds like a plan. It may work, you just never know. I certainly hope it does. The most humane euthanization method is the method that is also the absolute hardest to do, and that's decapitation. If you can, you might consider taking her to a veterinarian for euthanization. It will spare you the trauma. :( But I really, really, really hope the medicine and salts work. I'll be thinking of you. :)
I don't think here will be any vets in this dinky town willing enough to spare a few minutes for a little fish. If worse comes to worse, I'll get the job done as quickly as I can out of sight from my sister. She won't be able to do any sort of euthanization method other than clove oil.

I'm hoping she'll pull through since she's still interested a little bit in exploring a new tank and sleeping on the heater like the first few days we bought her. My sister suspects kidney failure however, but I hope that's not the case.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:44 AM   #13 
Sakura8

Sadly organ failure can cause the severe bloat you're seeing. :( It causes fluids to build up, which pushes against the scales and makes them pinecone. But she may still pull through. As long as she's not suffering, she deserves every chance.

Have you researched using clove oil? I've never used it . . .
Old 06-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #14 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Sadly organ failure can cause the severe bloat you're seeing. :( It causes fluids to build up, which pushes against the scales and makes them pinecone. But she may still pull through. As long as she's not suffering, she deserves every chance.

Have you researched using clove oil? I've never used it . . .
I've read several of the threads started up tor euth options so I'll looks those back up if need be. It sounds like a more peaceful method than any of the other ones.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #15 
Sakura8

I sincerely hope you never have to use any of them, though.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Epsom salt 2tsp/gal, tannins along with 100% daily water changes while in a small QT container floating in a heated tank to maintain 76-77F temp....if she is really bad increase to 3tsp/gal after 24h in the 2tsp/gal....good luck and keep us posted......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #17 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Epsom salt 2tsp/gal, tannins along with 100% daily water changes while in a small QT container floating in a heated tank to maintain 76-77F temp....if she is really bad increase to 3tsp/gal after 24h in the 2tsp/gal....good luck and keep us posted......
Thanks for the advice. We'll try those today since she's just currently on 1 tsp/gal right now. We'll bump it up and also add parasite medicine since she keeps bloating without eating.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #18 
Sakura8

But she made it through the night, that's a good sign.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #19 
Pataflafla

Quote:
But she made it through the night, that's a good sign.
It is but she's also started to display more signs of dropsy. We're hoping she improves with the added salt and parasite medication. She'll be getting a 100% water change in the morning and we'll keep her on the 2 tsp of epsom salt for now. She's been given a 10 day period to show improvement unless she declines farther.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #20 
Sakura8

I'm rooting for her. She sounds like she has a fighting spirit and you and your sister and taking really great care of her. Keep us posted.