Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #21 
Pataflafla

She jumped out of her tank sometime last night and was dry when my sister found her in the morning. She's no longer pineconed at the moment but she is having trouble staying upright. We're gonna wait and see how she is doing at the end of the day to make any decisions.

The best we can do for keeping her alive right now is keeping her tank dark while the epsom salt hopefully works.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #22 
Sakura8

Goodness, she has energy still, that's for sure. I never would have expected her to take a leap like that.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #23 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Goodness, she has energy still, that's for sure. I never would have expected her to take a leap like that.
I didn't either. Especially since we had a pillow case over the tank to keep it dark.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #24 
Pataflafla

Unfortunately she will not make it. Her condition has worsened severely since yesterday and she may pass on her own very soon. We're giving her until 7 pm tonight before we take over.

She has started to pinecone again and either faces the bottom directly or the top directly. Her breathing is very shallow and she may have just passed.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #25 
ds2009

I hate to say it but it sounds like the best thing to do now would be to euthanize her. I just did it for my poor boy a few days ago using clove oil. If youre interested in that you can get it in any pharmacy, just ask the person behind the counter. What you do is you put her in a small cup or something and add a few drops every few minutes for 15-30 minutes. This should make her sleepy and eventually as you keep doing this she will fall asleep and overdose painlessly. I think that this is the most humane way to euthanize a fish and it is the least traumatizing on the owner :c
ds2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:03 PM   #26 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds2009 View Post
I hate to say it but it sounds like the best thing to do now would be to euthanize her. I just did it for my poor boy a few days ago using clove oil. If youre interested in that you can get it in any pharmacy, just ask the person behind the counter. What you do is you put her in a small cup or something and add a few drops every few minutes for 15-30 minutes. This should make her sleepy and eventually as you keep doing this she will fall asleep and overdose painlessly. I think that this is the most humane way to euthanize a fish and it is the least traumatizing on the owner :c
She passed while I was typing that last message. My sister just wanted to give her a few minutes to respond and she didn't. She passed on her own and looked very relaxed and at ease.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #27 
Sakura8

Pataflafla, I'm so sorry to hear she passed. :( You and your sister really put a lot of effort into caring for her and I'm sure she realized that - fish are more perceptive than we think. She probably just had too much stress going on, especially since she jumped out, pillowcase and all. I'm also glad that she passed on her own so you didn't have to face any hard decisions or situations. Is Ratchet doing okay?
Old 06-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #28 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Pataflafla, I'm so sorry to hear she passed. :( You and your sister really put a lot of effort into caring for her and I'm sure she realized that - fish are more perceptive than we think. She probably just had too much stress going on, especially since she jumped out, pillowcase and all. I'm also glad that she passed on her own so you didn't have to face any hard decisions or situations. Is Ratchet doing okay?
Ratchet is doing wonderfully. He's actively patrolling his side of the tank since there's a male on the other side of the divider now. He's getting some beautiful color to him now. He's still light gray, but it's also really bluish. He's a completely different fish than the first day I got him. He's definitely the most aggressive betta I've ever had. He puts my female from years ago to shame.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #29 
Sakura8

I'm glad to hear Ratchet is doing okay. He sounds like a character.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #30 
ds2009

Im sorry that she passed, im sure she passed painlessly and lived a great life with you :c
ds2009 is offline   Reply With Quote