Betta Fish Forum banner

Duckweed - and LOL!

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  PewPewPew 
#1 ·
I've searched high and low for some floating plants in the fish stores around here. Admitting defeat, I ordered some online from Angelgirl270 on aquabid. She was listed as living in New York so I figured it would get here fairly quickly being that I live outside Philadelphia.

This morning at 7:45 am, my fiance and I are still 'asleep' (meaning he's dead to the world and I'm working but watching the clock to make sure he gets up for work) and someone starts knocking at the door. I'm like WTF? I look through the peep hole and there's a woman with a package. So I open it and it's here and she says she planned to visit a friend in my city today anyway so she just hand-delivered the plants to me! Freakin' crazy!

So if you're in PA/NY and want plants, she's your go-to girl. XD

So anyway... now I have this duckweed that I've really wanted. Anyone have any advice on how to best keep it and get it growing? Pewpewpew said it can take over your tank if you let it. I'm kinda hoping for it! :p

#2 ·
I would invest in a fertilizer for them. I use Seachem Flourish on my tanks and loving it. You use so little of it so it will last you forever. The tetra plantamin was also good, but I found you had to use more of it. Plus play with your lights and see what works best for you. Mine is on 10hours a day currently and Im definitely seeing some growth.

#7 ·
I had duckweed in a few of my tanks, and found it required regular dosing of iron to prevent yellowing. I just used Seachem Iron in addition to my other basic macro and micro fertilisers, to provide it with some extra nutrients.

The only downside to duckweed is that it sticks to your arm, siphon, the tank sides etc. during water changes, and can be very difficult to remove once it has established itself. Luckily, I own goldfish and they managed to devour a whole pile of the stuff in the time it took me to walk up the stairs.

#12 ·
Wooowww, thats some nice looking duck weed. I agree about it being a bit annoying, though. It always stuck to my arms and siphon, which made me SO MAD. I got it from plants that were grown with other plants, and it began to cover my tank's surface...I hated it.
Made me RAGE.

I think that a good fertilizer will help keep it alive. I used a cruddy one and it stayed green as ever -__-'""

I like water lettuce, I want that :d

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.