Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #1 
saliff1

Exclamation Help please! How do I raise alkilinity in my tank?

I posted yesterday about my betta being sick and I will re-post that information on here momentarily. I tested all of his tank stuff and he has a low alkilinity and a slightly high pH level. What steps can I take to fix these things? Thank you!

Last edited by saliff1; 07-01-2011 at 01:50 PM.
saliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #2 
saliff1

Exclamation

Housing
What size is your tank? approx 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? usually 74-79 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes, from the filter
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets, very rarely dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day, 2-3 pellets

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? At LEAST 3 times per week. Usually 2 30%, and then 1 50% change.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? see above.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner, Aquri-Sol

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: in the very safe range (the strips I have are color-coded, my apologies for no numbers)
pH: approx 7.8
Hardness: in the very soft range
Alkalinity: in the low range, somewhere between 40-80

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He seems to have some slightly more red coloration on his sides than he did before. He also has one large white spot on his top fin that seems to have gotten bigger over the past months. When he does swim it is like his bottom half is heavier than his top and he doesn't swim as horizontal as he once did.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is very inactive compared to how he used to be. He will lay on the bottom of his tank and not swim. When he lies at the bottom of his tank, it almost looks like he is laying on his side. Lately his breathing seems to appear very labored. He also is not eating like he was before.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? He has had many issues for about 2 months now.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Approx 2 months ago I was told he had ick/ich? and I was told to use Aquari-Sol to treat him daily and do daily water changes. Since he hadn't improved, I went to a different pet store, described the symptoms, and they told me he had a fungus and to treat him with Maracyn. Tonight will make the 3rd night of his 5 day treatment. I was also told to do a complete water change. He has his heater and filter with no carbon in his tank now. Since using the Maracyn I have not done any water changing.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? See above

How old is your fish (approximately)?1 year 6 months

Are these the right steps to take? Is there anything else I should be doing or I shouldn't be doing? There's so much information out there and it's very confusing to find what the right thing to do is. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!

Last edited by saliff1; 07-01-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 07-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #3 
newbie32

you can raise or lower pH by adding a buffer to the water. pet stores sell aquarium buffers. they are supposed to raise or lower the pH gradually, so as not to shock the fish. people on this board advise against using a buffer for fear of the fish's health. it is really up to you. i don't think pH is your problem. many other people have high pH levels and their bettas are thriving. to be on the safe side, i would leave the pH where it is.
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Before you change your pH and hardness...you need to get the proper test kit...liquid reagent type for pH, KH/GH...the test stripes will not work for this....you also need to have the replacement water used for water changes with the same pH/KH/GH so you don't shock and kill the fish....

Changing the pH and hardness is not recommended....generally Bettas will adapt to your source water.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #5 
saliff1

Thanks to both newbie and OFL!

I believe I will leave the pH alone.

Based on what I have described in the survey, does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong with my betta? I'm just nervous that he's not getting much better on the 3rd day of the Maracyn treatment...