Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #1 
tfunk

looking pale

My daughters betta is looking pale and slightly bloated at the front. I was reading some other posts about swim bladder and bloating.
I've placed it in a smaller bowl for the time being, with nothing on the bottom so we can watch for waste. I was thinking to try the salt bath but have no epsom salts. What does the epsom salt bath do and can you substitute a non-iodized sea salt?
His normal home is a large (decorative) brandy snifter/bowl. No filter, no heater. Flat glass marbles on the bottom. She's had him 9-10 months and he has done well thus far.
Suggestions?
tfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems...

Sadly once you see the symptom of dropsy-often they are going into system shut down, but don't give up....I would start him on the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal, tannins along with 100% daily water change while in QT-cover the top of the QT with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth

Pre-mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or dried oak leaf and use this water for the 100% daily water changes for the next 10-14 days...

Hold food for the first 3 days then offer small frequent meals

It has to be Epsom salt-this will help with the edema...aquarium salt will not...

How many gallons is the snifter and how much and how often did you change the water......

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Epsom salt acts as a laxative to help move the system along. In fact, my box of epsom salts even has instructions on mixing up an epsom salt drink for human constipation (yuck).

The tannins will help stimulate the fish's production of his slime coat, which keeps them healthier. Indian Almond Leaf is, alas, very hard to find. Dried oak leaves, as OFL said, work too. Crumble several up and add them to the water until it is dark amber. If you can't find oak leaves, a tea bag of decaffeinated green tea works too. But the tea has to be decaf and just plain green tea, no special flavors or anything else added. Steep that until the water changes color.

Is he eating? Also, when he is better and able to return to his regular tank (yes, we're being optimistic here ^_^), you may want to get him a heater. Bettas need warm water of around 78-80 degrees farenheit.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #4 
tfunk

Thank you! I will have my husband pick up epsom salts from work.
I've just come home for lunch and he does not look bloated anymore, still greyish. There is waste at the bottom of the this tank so he must not be constipated. And he is able to swim to the bottom. It still looks as though he floats toward the top a bit but not so pronounced as before and he is not lilting to the side anymore.
His snifter easily holds 2 1/2 litres. I do not know how often the water was changed. I suspect not often. Would a lamp work as a heater?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Long term poor water quality can cause a lot of problems for the fish....I would start by making 50% water changes for 2 days...then 100%.....and see if this perks him up....then stay on a regular schedule of twice weekly 50% and 100% to maintain water quality and be sure to remove any uneaten food and don't overfeed.....get a thermometer to monitor the tank water temp and maintain this in the 76-80F range....you also need to use the thermometer to monitor the replacement water for the water changes to keep the fresh dechlorinated water within a couple of degrees of tank water to prevent shock related issue.......

Often all the fish needs is some fresh dechlorinated like temp water and he may not need the Epsom salt treatment...but still good to have it on hand....

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #6 
tfunk

Okay. Did the epsom salt and tannin thing last night and now he's really not well. There is a red spot on his tail. It looks like he was bleeding or something. There was nothing in the tank to catch it on. He is not swimming unless I disturb him.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Can you take a picture of his tail? The red spot could possibly be the beginnings of fin rot, also caused by poor water quality and rips (bettas are very prone to tail rips because of those long fins of theirs). If so, the salt and tannins will help to heal the tail by stimulating his slime coat and the natural regenerative powers of his fins. Alas, as OFL said, the symptoms of dropsy are often a sign of an end-stage infection. If he looks like he is beginning to suffer, post immediately and we will help you to euthanize him properly. But I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that. :(
Old 06-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #8 
tfunk

After looking much better the last couple days, he has declined rapidly today. I don't know what a suffering fish looks like but he is very close to the end.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about that. I really hoped he'd get better. Do you want to euthanize him so he isn't suffering or do you think it won't be much longer anyhow? :( If you choose euthanization, there are basically three ways to do it.
1) The fastest and most humane and THE most difficult to carry out is decapitation and destruction of the brain.
2) Clove oil. There are instructions elsewhere on the forum about how to use an overdose of clove oil but I'm not sure exactly where they are. You could probably google it, too.
3) Take him to your veterinarian and have him or her do it. My personal favorite.

If you have to euthanize at home or he passes at home, be sure not to flush him down the toilet. The best way is burial, cremation or disposal in the trash bin. I know, all of this sounds so heartless and cold. :( But it's necessary info, regrettably.

I'm sorry that we couldn't save him.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #10 
BettaBeauties

For euthanasia... what about Freezing in a small disposable cup? ...wouldn't their metabolsim just slow down, painlessly, and then maybe they'd just sort of fall asleep... you could then bury him encased in the ice.
BettaBeauties is offline   Reply With Quote