Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #1 
Norichan

New 5gal! =D Got some questions.

So, finally got a new tank for His Majesty! It's the Tetra 5g Starter Kit. Decked it out with some plants and a new structure. He seems to like swimming in between the little gaps the plants create. Nice fabric ones, no plastic.

So this raises some questions that I need answered. He seems to be adjusting well, but there's a couple hitches.

1) I had to baffle the !@#$ out of the filter. I bought a sponge/scrubbie thing for acrylic tanks (figured I could get something heavier later if need be- didn't want to damage the machinery). I cut it to size and wrapped it around the bottom of the filter. But he was being blown around like a kite in the wind, so I stuffed some more in the out-flow to weaken that. And he was still being stirred up, so I stuffed the remainder in the intake pipe thingie, the one that leads to the impeller. The flow has slowed to a trickle, but he prefers it that way, and at least its still running. But I wonder what kind of effect that will have on maintenance?

~*~

Additionally, he's coming to college with me. The city where my college is located has HORRIBLE water. Like, if you run the sink or shower at their hottest, it smells like a pool the chlorine is so bad. I wonder if there's a conditioner that can handle that, or if I should just use bottled water? Bottled water is easy to come by- my meal plan is such that I have X-amount of money a day, plus some overage, so I won't have to choose between feeding myself and caring for my fishie. I can also bring water from home once a week.

So the questions are...

1- Is my filter okay and is it still effective enough?
2- In this new 5gal, how many water changes should I do and what percentages per week? Please note that I will be away on weekends. My roommate can feed him, but I don't want her to have to be responsible for his water, too. She's going to have a betta of her own =)
3- Should I use the city water and pray that the conditioner is strong enough, or would bottled water be the safer way to go?
Norichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #2 
Norichan

Okay, I know this board frowns on bumping, but... I really need these answered by some experts. <3
Old 07-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #3 
fishman12

1. If the're still a good amount of water going throungh the filter it should be fine.
2. You could get away with 1 50% one week then a 100% the next (unless you're cycling)
3. Just use bottlede water, but still add some conditioner...
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #4 
Norichan

Thanks! Oh, and uno mas question... he seems very antsy. Bored, even, and no amount of mirrors and buttons seems to be calming him down.

I thought maybe I should get him some company? He's extremely social. Would I have room enough for him and a platy or two for him to lord over? Might it help him?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #5 
Sivan

My college water almost killed my fish. I tried adjusting the ph levels but that made things worse. I was told about Prime and BAM no more problems. I recommend a test kit to keep chemical levels about the same. Bottled water can be very expensive, especially for a 5 gallon tank.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

Do not use bottled water. My school's water can KO you with the chlorine smell, but it will not harm the fish when you put enough conditioner into it. There should be no real reason to use bottled/distilled water. It isnt as good for them, it lacks nutrients and whatnot and is expensive, especially when you can use water for free. If youre worried, add an extra drop or two of conditioner or let the water sit out in a bucket for a few days before and add conditioner in.
Condition it then test the water after to see if its high. If it still is, then just add more conditioner.

The filter will be fine. Youre gonna want to vacuum the tank a little extra, though. Idk whats up with this tank, but gunk accumulates more and faster when you baffle it.

Mines baffle to %&*$#&%, too. But whatevs, it holds a cycle, it works, no complaints I guess ><"
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #7 
fishman12

Yeah I have sponges stuffed everywhere. I have the pre-filter thing by Fluval as well. He might want some more hiding spots, or a cave or more plants.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote