Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #1 
ClassicCharm

Cycling Question

I'm attempting to cycle my ten gallon using fish food. It has no live plants, is heated and filtered.

Here's the problem:

I've been feeding the tank for about 4 weeks now, and I have seen nothing but ammonia levels between 2 and 4ppm. My tank is now disgusting because of all the rotting food. I changed the filter one week ago and nothing changed.

Is this normal? How long should I see high ammonia levels before the nitrite starts to make its move and ammonia drops off? Can I clean my tank or is that going to throw everything off completely?

Thanks!
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #2 
frogipoi

I am pretty sure if you do a 50% water change it won't harm it....
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #3 
Tisia

the majority of the beneficial bacteria grows on the filter media, you've probably pretty much restarted the process by changing it :/
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #4 
ClassicCharm

My filter system has two "traps". One is the replaceable filter cartridge and the other is a permanent cartridge which accumulates the beneficial bacteria. I feel like leaving the replaceable cartridge in when it's full and dirty might overload the whole thing?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

It wont.

I HIGHLY suggest that you get a clean,new pair of women's hosery. Put the fish food into THAT instead. Take it out when it gets rank (after like 4+ days) and add in more.

Have you considered using Pure ammonia? It will help things go faster.

Im tempted to tell you to vacuum the bottom of the tank to get the nasties out and restart with something much more powerful than just fish food.

There is a way to do this using a media bag/panty hose and raw, large shrimp.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #6 
ClassicCharm

Oh damn. It wouldn't be a vacuum, I would have to do a full change, clean out my substrate, and start from scratch. I suppose I could do it with shrimp instead.

If using pure ammonia, how do you know how much to add?

Gah, I had a feeling this wasn't going right :(
Old 06-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Have you considered doing fish-in? You seem to have all you need to test your ammonia, so in essence, the only difference between that and what youre doing now is more frequent water changes and checks :<

If youre willing to restart, then do what you think you should.
People use the shrimp because it constantly adds ammonia, which makes it easier. It smells though. (Naturally)
Id say add a cup, maybe? Not sure, tbh! Just dont over-do it, I guess, and monitor it. Wait for nitrites and whatnot.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #8 
ClassicCharm

I'm really hesitant to do fish-in. The first time I set up my sorority I did it fish-in but didn't monitor things properly and had a lot of problems. I don't want to lose any of my girls when they go in.

Maybe I should start over. I'm just not sure what's happening, since as soon as I started to add the fish food, the ammonia went way up and has stayed there, with nitrites and nitrates reading zero constantly.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

It takes time... Have you considered adding stem plants (like anacharis, ludwigia, water sprite, hornwort, etc) to help speed up that cycle?

Ive only ever done fish-in, but with plants to help me it usually only takes about 1-3 weeks. It keeps the fish safer with the plants, because they eat up the ammonia while still allowing it to cycle out.

(Ive done fish in...get ready....15 times in 2 tanks over the course of 6 months x__X) I move a lot!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #10 
ClassicCharm

I've seriously considered doing real plants, but I would have to get all new substrate and I have this tank completely decked out in pantyhose-tested fakes and decorations . I just don't have money right now to go back to square one tank-wise.

EEEKK! When you're doing fish-in, how often do you do your water changes?

Do you know anything about Nutrfin Cycle? Apparently you can use this to immediately cycle the tank!
http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/nutr...ndex_info.html

p.s. Thanks for all your help, as usual, P3

Last edited by ClassicCharm; 06-13-2011 at 07:20 PM.