Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #11 
PewPewPew

I usually would wind up doing a 25-50% change every threeish days in my 5 gallon with one betta C: In a 10 with 1 betta, you can do the same. Basically, check every two or so days on the ammonia, and make sure its under .5ppm. When it gets past .25ppm, change the water like 25%. Really, its a check every few days, change as needed, until its done :D

Bah. Get some anacharis and BOOM, youre golden. Its best floating, Id say, and is an ammonia chaammmpp. Cheap, too, and grows like a weed. You usually get a ton, and it requires nothing special, nothing at all. It needs poop. Fish poop. Thats it XD <3 Hah!

To be honest, I dont trust that sort of stuff at all. I really dont! :( Unless its refrigerated, I dont see how "start up" bacteria is alive in the bottles. There are kinds like (I think?) stability that will help the tank cycle, by Seachem. I dont trust things that claim to "SUDDENLY" start the cycle :c

You welccommeee B:
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #12 
ClassicCharm

This cycle is still being a huge pain!!

The day the last response was posted, I started from scratch doing a fish-in with one girl in the 10g tank. I STILL haven't seen the cycle happening. I was doing changes twice a week, 1-50% and 1-100%. Because I wasn't seeing a change, I started to let more time go between changes monitoring the levels just to see if anything would change. A week has gone by and the ammonia level is at .25ppm, no sign of Nitrites or Nitrates. The tank filter cartridge was full of waste as was the baffle sponge, but the water is still clear.

What am I doing wrong here? :S
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #13 
PewPewPew

*shrugs* A lot of factors could be at hand. I'm sorry its taking so long.

Cycling is fickle- it can take a week, a few weeks...a few months. :(
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:58 AM   #14 
ClassicCharm

I guess I'm sort of confused as well- I know I'm building up good bacteria, and they attach to the decorations and in the filter. If I change the filter cartridge, am I interrupting the cycle? And in that case, wouldn't the tank technically have to re-cycle every time I change the cartridge after? And what happens when I do a 100% water change in the future? Wouldn't the tank then have to re-cycle since everything inside the tank has been removed?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just not fully making sense to me :S
Old 07-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #15 
Pitluvs

I would think with 1 girl in there, your ammonia won't go too high. That's why when your tank is cycled, you add one fish every few days so the bacteria can make up for the extra ammonia that fish will produce.
If you're cycling, don't do 100% changes. Bacteria die when exposed to air. I would do 25-50% changes when needed lol When your tank is cycled, you do 25% every week mainly to clean up the rocks.

Filters contain the most of your bacteria. I personally put my new filter in with my older filter and wait a few days, then I take my old filter out. If you cold change your filter, you could end up crashing your cycle and having your ammonia spike. But if your filter has a biofilter, you can change your filter without doing what I said above. Your biofilter never needs to be change, only rinsed out. You would have to check if your tank has one. If it does, only change your filter or biofilter one at a time, never both!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #16 
ClassicCharm

So will only having one girl in there produce enough ammonia to allow the tank to cycle? Especially if I'm doing a change when the ammonia reaches .25ppm? Looks like I have to cut back on my water changes..

Ahh, okay. My filter has a biofilter that does not ever get replaced. That makes more sense.

Thanks Pitluvs :)