Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #11 
TougeBetta

btw is the sign of the egg hanging out from the female belly means I have to wait for the next cycle?
TougeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
I suggest buying a pair online, because you will know that you are getting a pair from a responsible breeder. Also if you buy online you are getting quality fish and fish that people WILL definitely want to buy from you.
This is not always true....just because it came from aquabid/online doesn't mean they are good, quality or better and you don't always get any more information than if you bought one off the shelf at a pet shop...just because it cost more doesn't mean it is a better fish

Not all breeders online are honest, however, most are....but you still have lots of people selling poor quality and/or unknown genetic back ground....it can be a crap-shoot either way......

By spawning two different tails types it will take you longer to get what you want...but this also depends on your goals....IMO...nothing wrong with mixing tails types or using pet shop Betta for spawning...again it depends on your goals....if you plan to show fish...then you don't want to start with unknown genetic...you should join the IBC and get a breeding pair and a mentor and start studying IBC standards....if you don't plan to show and are wanting to spawn for the experience and to gain hands-on experience...get what you like and spawn....but know that you could end up with anything.....with that said....IMO this is the exciting part.....you never know what you will get/create....its easy to buy a sibling pair from known genetic lines from a breeder to continue their lines.....to create you own special line to call your own....you have to think outside the box and experiment mixing tail type and colors...but to do this you also have to cull hard.......I have found that I sell more of my unique line and can't keep up with demand than the pure known line....but it didn't happen over night...it has taken years......

When you mix CT with anything other than CT....IMO/E- the fins look fine on nearly all the offspring...all you generally get is reduced webbing and not messy at all, however, you do get a few that look pretty odd and this is when you cull.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeBetta View Post
btw is the sign of the egg hanging out from the female belly means I have to wait for the next cycle?
This is most likely the ovipositor and not an egg..

I like to wait 3 days between spawns while mass feeding them with live food in their own container that is placed in an area so that she can't see the male...provided that she had been conditioned properly the first time...

I also like to have the male in his own container (not the spawning tank) and mass feed him live foods during this time as well....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #14 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeBetta View Post
I actually like your fish, is that your fish in your avatar?
Yes he is.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote