Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #1 
BettaParent89

Question How to use Aqaurium Salt for treatment?

Last night we posted a thread on how we think our Betta, Bart, has Fin Rot, which included pictures of him when we first got him and what he looks like now. Today we purchased a bigger tank (went from a 1 gallon bowl to a 2.5 gallon tank) and Bart has adjusted well. We also purchased aquarium salt to start him on a salt treatment, but we weren't sure on when to put the salt in or if we could put the salt in while he was in it. The reason why we didn't put the salt in the new tank now, is because we wanted him to first get adjusted to his new tank and water. We put his old water in and then a fresh gallon of new water with a few drops of Aqua Safe. But will it be ok for us to add the salt in tomorrow while he's in it?

We would also like to ask if we should convert to live plants instead of plastic. But we're not quite sure how to even begin to take care of one. We've never used one and know nothing about it. Also, will the aquarium salt mess with the live plants and kill it?

And I'm still looking for answers on my last thread from last night. Thanks!
BettaParent89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaParent89 View Post
Last night we posted a thread on how we think our Betta, Bart, has Fin Rot, which included pictures of him when we first got him and what he looks like now. Today we purchased a bigger tank (went from a 1 gallon bowl to a 2.5 gallon tank) and Bart has adjusted well. We also purchased aquarium salt to start him on a salt treatment, but we weren't sure on when to put the salt in or if we could put the salt in while he was in it. The reason why we didn't put the salt in the new tank now, is because we wanted him to first get adjusted to his new tank and water. We put his old water in and then a fresh gallon of new water with a few drops of Aqua Safe. But will it be ok for us to add the salt in tomorrow while he's in it?

We would also like to ask if we should convert to live plants instead of plastic. But we're not quite sure how to even begin to take care of one. We've never used one and know nothing about it. Also, will the aquarium salt mess with the live plants and kill it?

And I'm still looking for answers on my last thread from last night. Thanks!
Dont get the plants until you stop using the salt, because yes! They will be hurt by it.

I didnt see your post, but I can tell you what to do. For today, just let him be. But tomorrow, do a 100% new, fresh water change. This gives him a fresh, new and clean slate.

Please remove the fish from his tank and put him back into the cup you bought him in (or, if you dont have that, a sandwich bag) with his current tank water. Keep him in a warm, dark place for now (someone's lap is always nice! C; )

Proceed to empty your tank. Rinse the gravel(?) or whatever with nice warm water, the decorations too. Wipe the heater down if you want, but dont use hot water on it.

Add in new water thats around 78' or so degrees, use your thermometer to tell. Add in your conditioner. Rearrange the tank, blah blah, and then add in your salt. Get a plastic cup and fill it with some of the tank water. Add in your 1tsp/gallon (or higher, if that was recommended!) and stir it around. In a 2.5, you're going to need 2.5tsp of salt. Stir stir stir until dissolved, and add to the water in the tank.
You should always dissolve the salt before adding it in, because direct contact with it can potentially burn the fish if it rubs on it.

Then, float the fish in the bag/cup. Dont let it tip over! Let it bob around for 5 minutes, then add in about a tsp-tbsp of new tank water to the cup. Do this adding in every 5 minutes for at least 10 minutes. I usually bob for 5, add in new water 3 times, for a total of about 15-20 minutes.

Doing this gets the fish used to the new temp, the new water AND the salt safely and slowly, to avoid distress or shock :)

Change out the water 100% every day (if youre up to it) or every other. After each 100% change, add in more salt and do the same as above.

Please dont add in more salt without doing the 100% change, because compounding the doses of salt will hurt him.

As for easy plants, dont be scared. Theyre not scary, so long as you get easy ones :) I used to be OMG SO SCARY but eased into owning them, and now have fully planted tanks! :D Hah-cha!

I have a plant guide I wrote floating around, but I cant find it, especially since my computer's being awful atm (sigh So many blue screens!!), but this is also mine, just on my own site - same information:

http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/easy...ant-guide.html

Good luck :DDD
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #3 
BettaParent89

We currently do not have a heater, but we are looking into getting one. We found one at Pet Smart that is like a round plate on a cord, but it's submersible. But what temperature is the right temperature if we buy one for him?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

I think the one youre looking at (Is it by zoo med? Rather small, black?) will not be strong enough for a 2.5 gallon tank. I could be wrong, though.

Almost all heaters are submersible these days, but its good to be sure.

I have used a marineland 10w heater with good results.

The boxes will say "Keeps tank at XXXX 'F, but that doesnt mean it actually will, so be prepared to return it if it doesnt! Keep the receipts.

The tank with a heater should be kept at at least 77'F, otherwise its not strong enough for the tank. Ideally, a betta should be in 76-82'F water. Get a thermometer, too, for him- I like the ones that suction to the side of a tank. Be wary of "sticker" thermometers, I dont trust them!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #5 
BettaParent89

Ok great! I have one more question...a light, should we get one of those too? We have his tank near a window, but I think it gets fairly dark at night. Would you recommend one?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #6 
bettafish15

It needs to be dark at night, bettas need sleep like we do. Don't have it on at night.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

^ I agree, they need to sleep like we do, so when you go to bed, shut the light off (in the tank, if it has one). They sleep and putter around in the dark, and are fine.

If you plan on having plants, you might want to consider getting a florescent light for the tank. Florescent lights are the ones that help plants grow, as well as make your fish look goooodd ;D I use ones from Walmart. The brand is called Lights Of America and is found in the fish section in one of those kill-yourself-to-open plastic cases. They are $5ish, 10w and 6500k (which is great) and are tubular, which is what many tanks, probably including your own, require.

:D Bettafish and Pew3 in da house, whatwhat got this thread COVERED! <3 lol
Old 06-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #8 
BettaParent89

Awesome, you guys have been absolutely fantastic in helping me! But I've thought of another question...sand or gravel or both? We have gravel for him, but I've been noticing some of you on this site use sand. Would sand be more suited for people who use filters? or would it be a great natural addition that we could use?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #9 
Tisia

without a filter (or lots of live plants) you'll have to do some 100% changes, and I definitely would not want to do a 100% with sand, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #10 
PewPewPew

Very true!

Personally, I like to use gravel. Sand is fine, but not** if you do 100% water changes, which means w=you would need a filter.