Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #1 
Marvogin

The Best 5 gal. Tank?

I've been looking almost everywhere (namely PetCo.com) for a good tank and the only one I've found so far; someone said that it melts if you put a heater in it. Which is bad if you want a Beta.

Even 4 gal. would be okay, or 6 gal. but I'd like not to go over that. Beyond that, what are your recommendations for ANY size tank? I just want the best for my (soon-to-be-purchased) Betta!~

(also, I'd like locations for these tanks, like where to find them and whatnot. New internet sites for fish equipment (like heaters and filters) would be much appreciated as well)

Newbie Betta fish (soon-to-be) owner signing out!
Look forward to more topics from me about types of filters and heaters. Coming soon! lol.
Marvogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #2 
Lion Mom

Here ya go for a 5 gal. tank - I own three & think they are TERRIFIC:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #3 
Marvogin

How would you baffle the filter? Do you recommend getting a different filter or just baffling the filter the tank already has? Can the water bottle baffling method work? Sorry for all the questions and yes I do think I'm going to go with this tank. It's the cheapest one I've found so far, and looks good.
Marvogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #4 
russalka

I gave my goddaughter this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-Ecl...8015484&sr=8-1

The filter is very quiet and it cycled very quickly. She has a doubletail halfmoon but he doesn't mind the current. It's more expensive than the hawkeye. It ships for free from amazon.
russalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #5 
elsilerjr

i have the hawkeye and i love it , My local walmart didint stock the filter for it so i was kinda mad about that but i replaced it with the marine penguin 100 bio wheel filter and i love it. Fit perfect with the lid on, I just had to trim off a few lil notches in the plastic. But i got the tank for 25$ online and the biowheel filter was 24.99 so it was pretty good deal. I have a male betta and a ghost shrimp in it. Its next to my ladys 10 gallon and they look just about the same size, i love it.
elsilerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #6 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvogin View Post
How would you baffle the filter? Do you recommend getting a different filter or just baffling the filter the tank already has? Can the water bottle baffling method work? Sorry for all the questions and yes I do think I'm going to go with this tank. It's the cheapest one I've found so far, and looks good.
Get an aquarium sponge/ foam (AquaClear & Imagine are two brands) and rubber band it to the front of the filter. MUCH better, IMO, than the bottle method!

Here is a pic of how I do it(and you don't see the sponge with the lid closed):
Attached Images

Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #7 
soccerdog693

I love the aqueon minibow aquariums.

http://www.petco.com/product/10313/A...TanksAquariums

I have the 2.5 gal for my betta, but a friend of mine has the 5 gal and loves it. I have found the filter to be great. I stuck a little fluval pre-filter sponge in front of the intake and not only does it slow the current down but protects betta's fins from getting shredded. Sometimes you can catch these on sale and modify it into a great little tank.
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #8 
newf

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...ndingMethod=rr

I have this one, and really like it. I did however replace the filter with a Red Sea Nano filter. I really love the nano filter. It has a flow valve on it so I can change the water flow on it easily.

This is the filter I have
http://www.amazon.com/RED-SEA-NANO-F...8088865&sr=8-1
newf is offline   Reply With Quote