Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #1 
Ianthe

Should we take them with us on vacation, or not?

So, we will soon have 2 bettas, (we have one now)and we have a vacation planned for November. We are going to Disneyland for 5 nights. We are traveling by car, it is about an 8 hour trip. I am trying to figure out what to do with our bettas when we are gone...I have nobody that can come feed them because everyone is going to be on the trip with us, LOL. We are going to leave a vacation feeder for the fish in my daughter's ten gallon, but I don't know if that is a good idea for the bettas. would they even eat it? Would it dirty the tank? 5 nights is pretty long...I think by then they will probably be in either their own 2.5 gallon tanks/bowls or a divided 5. Heated but not filtered. Or should I bring them along and set them up in the hotel? what is the best way to travel with them?
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #2 
bettafish15

Leave them at home. 5 nights isnt too long for them to go without food. When you get back though, do a 100% water change and feed them normally. A vacation feeder isnt food, so it won't do a thing. The only things that work are those automatic feeders that you put your own food in, but they are costly. The bettas will be okay.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I agree on the most part....5 days or even 2 week they will be fine food wise....water quality however is another issue....but 5 days they should be fine water quality wise provided that they are healthy and regular water changes had been made to start with.....

Feed well and make a 50% water change the night before you leave and again when you get home........if the tanks are filtered...if unfiltered...make 100% 5 days before you leave and the 50% the night before...when you get back-make the 100%....unless you have a timer for the lights...leave them off- even if you have live plants....5 day they will be fine

The feeder blocks can sometime do more harm than good as far as water quality goes....I would not use them for a 5 day trip in any of the tanks....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-12-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I heard that the vacation feeders can mess up your water.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote