Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #11 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4life View Post
ya quit hogging my thread lol jk Genetics are tricky to me, Ive tried reading up and I just get lost in all the technical terms and stuff, I think it might be easier learned by doing, well I mean as long as I follow the basics and dont get to experimental to soon.
I agree, you will never really understand genetics unless you try. Specially color genetics...... This color/form is dominant over that color/form. Some say the female is more dominant, others say the male is and some believe they're equal. IME it's not 100% true - you have to find out for yourself.

But till this day, my experience has led me to believe that females are more dominant for form while males are more for colors - though this isn't 100% true.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #12 
DarkMoon17

I would think that, since both parents give half the DNA, they would share equal responsibility for both traits and the color that shows up depends on the "dominance" of the colors in particular, not which parent it comes from. But that is from my experience with other animals, bettas might not play by those rules.

It is possible that the alleles that control form are on the "X" chromosome and therefore, females play more of a role in form. And then, since male bettas are supposed to be colorful due to nature, I bet the "Y" chromosome plays a bigger role in color. Just a thought :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

That makes sense, and would explain a lot. Unfortunately nothing is "fixed" with these guys. But then again, it wouldn't be much fun if everything were predictable.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #14 
Dragonlady

In the photo, your male's color appears like it might be what is often called 'black lace". Although I don't work with that color, I have heard that this color breeds true. If you bred him to a black lace female, I would make an educated guess that you will probably get mostly black lace fish back in the spawn....if that is your goal.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote