Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #1 
RnB

Baffling question

We bought an Topfin Acrylic Aquarium Scrubber (Looks like a fibery sponge) today to baffle Fabio's filter. it was too big so I cut it in two. So its baffling the current now, but it looks like little fibers from the scrubber are now in his tank. Will these fibers harm him? such as getting into his gills?

Help...?
RnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #2 
RnB

Also, we just put in a PH tester and Fabio's water is reading a 8.2!! Isn't that waaay too high? What can I do? We just did a 50% water change on his tank. (Random detail.)
Old 06-14-2011, 03:16 AM   #3 
RnB

....Bump?
Old 06-14-2011, 03:45 AM   #4 
gummi

I can't comment on the fibers, but I can tell you that I have well water with the exact same pH as yours, and it has had no ill effects on my betta. From what I've read on various forums, pH stability is more critical than the actual level to a certain extent. A neutral pH may be more ideal, but my fish is healthy and active at a pH of 8.2.

Last edited by gummi; 06-14-2011 at 03:53 AM.
gummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #5 
newbie32

if you feel that the pH is way too high, there are buffers made specifically for aquariums. They bring down (or up) the pH to a specified number. The ones I've seen are typically 7. Many people advise against them on this forum because they may cause your fish to go into shock. I talked with a fish guy about them and he felt that they are ok as long as you change the pH very slowly. I'm not really sure if they're good or bad, but if you think pH is a problem, that could be a solution.
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #6 
JamesJr8

Here is some information that I came across and seems to go along with the consensus of what I've seen while researching:
Best water conditions for bettas: Very clean water with a PH of 6.8 to 7.4 and temperature of 80F.
Acceptable water conditions for bettas: Clean water - PH ranging from 6.5 to 7.5 and temperatures not under 68F and not above 84F.

While your PH is above the acceptable range, I don't think it will be too much of a problem. Bettas, and some other fish, can adapt to various PHs. Now a snail would probably die due to the acidic conditions.

As for the fibers, wouldn't they just go back in the filter and be stuck there until you clean it? How many fibers are we talking about here? 1 or 2 I don't think would hurt, but if the sponge is completely disintegrating that may be a problem.
JamesJr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #7 
Sakura8

I agree with JamesJr. Better to get a sheet of actual filter sponge to use - they can be cut to size. I was actually about to post and ask if this would work but since someone else is already using sponge (albeit perhaps the wrong type ^_^), now I know I can. I just want to make sure my little female doesn't decide to investigate her filter.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #8 
fishman12

I heard that 8.0 pH is good
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #9 
Teishokue

eww do not go with buffers as newbie said. it will waste ur money and make u go crazy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Teishokue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #10 
youlovegnats

I just use plants as buffers. <- stuff 'em in the outtake. :P
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote