Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #1 
Ianthe

Question Are we feeding him enough?

My daughter's Betta always seems STARVING. We have had him about a month. We are currently feeding him Hikari pellets, once a day, usually 5 of them. Is this enough? Should we start feeding him twice a day? He also gets frozen bloodworms every few days. Also, I have heard/read that Hikari isn't that great anymore....what is now the best food? Thanks!!

Last edited by Ianthe; 06-13-2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Typed "her" instead of "him"...gets confusing when your 4 year old names her Male Betta "Princess" and insists he is a girl! LOL
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #2 
Ianthe

I tried to edit this, but it isn't showing up..on my end yet, at least...anyway, just to clarify...this is a MALE Betta...I just get in the habit of calling him "her" because my 4 year old named him "Princess" and he lives in a pink and purple tank, LOL!
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #3 
bettafish15

That's plenty, you should lower it to 3-4 pellets a day. Bettas always seem hungry and beg for food, it's in their nature. The stomachs are about the size of their eye! I use HBH Betta Bites, and find them to be really great, But thats me.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:52 AM   #4 
Sakura8

The best way to feed a betta is a little at a time several times a day and to make it a variety. Try feeding Princess 2 pellets 3 times a day and fasting him one day a week. Better yet, feed 2 pellets twice a day and some frozen or freeze-dried bloodworms for the third meal (still fast one day a week). Only give a very tiny bit of the frozen or freeze-dried foods - most people on the forum seem to prefer giving the freeze-dried as a treat only once or twice a week. I usually give it once a day but I give only a piece of worm, not the whole thing. Usually less than half an inch long, more like a quarter inch.

I feed my guy Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits, 39% protein. I think it's only available at Petsmart. New Life Spectrum's betta formula is very good, too. My Petco had it, maybe one in your area does too. If you can ever find it, Omega Betta Buffet Pellets are also a very good formula.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote