Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 01:38 AM   #1 
Tikibirds

Angry Ammonia poisioning..HALP

So today on my daily trip to Petco (doggie likes to go there), I saw a red VT male that was looking pretty sad. I took him home and on the way he seemed to get worse. I tested his water and it was at 4.0 for ammonia so I am pretty sure he is suffering from ammonia poisining.

I put him in a little container with about an inch of fresh water and stress coat. It was filled but he couldn't move so i lowered the level to about an inch. His gills are moving raidly and he seems to not have any energy. He was floating vertically in his cup on the way home with clamped fins.

Other then fresh water and stress coat, is there anything else I can do? I'm not sure he is going to be around much longer :( Would aquarium salt do anything??

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-14-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:03 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Ai yaaaaa! I personally have never seen any ammonia test that shade before. Those betta butchers at Petco are at it again! Poor guy, he looks so forlorn looking up like that.

Well . . .good news is he's in clean water. Bad news is, he spent a lot of time in bad water. There's a chance he could have permanent damage to his gills from the ammonia poisoning not to mention ammonia burns and fin rot. Stress Coat and warm water and of course daily water changes are going to be this little guy's best bet. At the very least, tikibirds, you'll have given the guy some love and care before he passes. At the most, you'll have given him a second chance at life.

Aquarium salt might help. I just don't know if it would help any more than the stuff in Stress Coat.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

There was a small red VT i saw in there a few days ago, in about the same spot as this guy was. He was bright red then. I wonder if its the same fish?

I'm not sure if my local petco has gotten worse at caring for their fish or if I have become more experienced with noticing fish with issues.

Does aquarium salt burn? I mean will it cause him pain if he has bad ammonia burns? I'm afraid to change his water because he seems so fragil right now.

I hope he gets better. If he dies, I'm going back with the receipt and demanding <saving> another fish!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:56 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

Unhappy

sadly, he did not make it

I tried :( but i had a feeling it was near the end when he started floating vertically. I didnt know anything about cycling a tank with my first few bettas and I'm pretty sure now either ammonia or nitrate/nitrite poisining killed them.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-14-2011 at 03:08 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:06 AM   #5 
fightergirl2710

Poor baby :(
Thank God we don't have Petcos and Walmarts out here, they would probably be ten times worse...
I don't know about the salt but maybe you can put some aeration in his water so that there is more oxygen content and his screwed up gills don't have to work too hard... I don't know if it makes sense but I thought it might make breathing a bit easier... He looks so sweet, I hope he survives!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:02 AM   #6 
LeroyTheBetta

So sorry about your fish! It's sad that good people like you have to clean up and try to fix the stores' shortcomings!

You should take those photos to the manager and ask what the heck is going on with their employees that are supposed to be caring for the fish to allow the water to get to such a horrendous condition. And ask the manager if the employees aren't doing an adequate job caring for the fish, why HE or SHE isn't doing an adequate job in being a supervisor! Stupid rats!

ALSO, send the photos to a regional manager, and the regional manager's manager... etc. You get the idea. Nobody is going to change their practices unless there are consequences to them making $$ or unless their job is on the line. And no reason to change if no one is complaining.

Last edited by LeroyTheBetta; 06-14-2011 at 05:04 AM.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

Has anyone returned a fish to petco before? I read someplace that I need to provide them with a water sample and it has to come out perfect or they wont give me a refund. Ironic since they obviously DID NOT test the water in his cup or HE WOULD NOT BE DEAD...
Old 06-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #8 
Grundylady

I don't think the water test is applicable since he died the same day you took him home. AND if you show the ammonia pic of his cup water.

Especially if you tell them he didn't even make through acclimation to your tank.

If you make a big enough stink they will give you another one. BUT you must bring them the body.

So sorry he did not make it.
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #9 
Grundylady

While I know this does not apply to bettas I found the below interesting.

As a side note - when I was researching fish to put in my 6.6 gal and talking to a girl at Petco she told me that they won't make the guarantee for my tank - only for tanks at least 10 gallons. I asked why they had so many small tanks if they would not sell fish to go in them. No answer to that question.
Grundylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

Quote:
If you make a big enough stink they will give you another one. BUT you must bring them the body.
I understand bringing in the body - to prove the fish is dead.

I'm hoping they do not give me a hard time. Most of the employees there know me..well, its more like they know my dog then me. He barks at them, they give him treats, then he barks at them again...