Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #11 
Sakura8

I don't blame you. I'm always wary of adding anything to my tanks. I hope something works for the little guy. And it's okay if you added him after. Everyone does things differently.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #12 
omgitslph

I added it to 3 of my 4 tanks (the other one is constipated so no salt for him right now). They all seem to be doing fine. No freaking out or anything. Now can I use bettafix (or something else) on these tanks as well with the salt? I have fins to repair on 2 of these guys (I rescued one from the store missing half of his back fin).
omgitslph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 AM   #13 
Sakura8

I'm not sure if you can use bettafix with salt or not. Hopefully someone who does know will post soon. Actually, the salt should help with the fins as well. It will help stimulate his immune system by adding electrolytes to the water. As for your constipated guy, you can try fasting and 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon. It worked for my guy.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:12 AM   #14 
omgitslph

He's a chronic constipated lad. haha He gets constipated no matter what. I feed him 2 meals a day of 2 pellets each time and I even soak them. No matter what I try he ends up constipated. He's currently hitting day 3 of fasting and will probably get a pea soon. I rather not try the epsom salt just yet because I heard that causes stress and he doesn't act any different while constipated so no harm in my mind if he's fat a bit longer. He always poops eventually. Just a bit of coaxing is needed.

Edit: Different fish different problem.

I can't tell if it's from bashing on the rocks of if it's bacteria. Did 100% water change on him and added a little less than the recommended dose of salt to make sure he didn't freak out. Anything else I should do besides watch it?

Last edited by omgitslph; 06-17-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:33 AM   #15 
Sakura8

Be careful with the pea. I've heard horror stories about peas. Me, personally I haven't experienced any problem. But I bought no salt added frozen peas and blanched the one I gave for 2 minutes in boiling water. Then I gave my guy a piece about the size of one of his pellets. Anything bigger and I was afraid he'd have problems digesting it.

If your guy isn't constipated so much he's bloated, then I'd suggest this: movement. Either get him to flare at himself and get a little worked up or gently chase him around the tank a few times. The movement usually causes them to pass waste within an hour or two.

As for your other guy (such a stunning color). I'd say that's a bacteria but it's not ich. It looks more like cottonwool or flexibacter columnaris. In that case, try Maracyn as soon as possible. Here's a link with more information, including treatment.
http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/cott...-disease-flex/
Old 06-17-2011, 01:50 AM   #16 
omgitslph

He's used to the pea and actually loves it. I take half a pea and thread it so it dangles in the water and I let him have 2 or so bites of it before I take it out. I used primafix on it once before and it got rid of it. I thought it was just a bacteria bloom sticking to him since his tank is notorious for those. But if Maracyn is the better way to go looks like I'm going back to the store before work tomorrow.

Edit: What about Maracyn-II? I don't know the differences of the two medicines.

Here's another pic

Last edited by omgitslph; 06-17-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:44 AM   #17 
Sakura8

Maracyn One treats gram positive bacteria and Maracyn Two treats gram negative bacteria. So for cottonwool, which is a gram negative bacteria, you want Maracyn Two.

Haha, your little constipated guy sounds cute eating his pea.

Yeesh, I know how you feel. I have three pet stores all within five minutes of me and I'm at each of them at least once a week. I forgot gravel or I need a few more plants or I need cat food . . . the employees at the two stores I frequent the most start to roll their eyes when they see me. One of them even said, "Wow, I haven't seen you since last week."
Old 06-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #18 
omgitslph

Bought both just in case and set up a 10 gal hospital tank. The box for Maracyn 2 said 10 gal tank and nobody at the store (or even me for that matter) could figure out the math for a 1 gal tank so cleaned out a tank that wasn't used in years with hot water and vinegar with a bit of sun drying. Should be a good temp home. Poor fish is gonna be baffled with how much space he has and I might just put him in there for good once I clean it out again after treatment. x_x

Will start treatment when I get home (or will let my dad do it when he gets home) from work since I just moved him in and I have to leave work already. x_x
Old 06-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #19 
Sakura8

A 10g just means that once Jace is well you can divide it and get another guy.

Hope the meds help. By the way, found another reason why I hate using salt: makes everything in the tank slimy.