Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #1 
RnB

Want to save him, but we don't know if we can...

Hey guys. This is urgent!

So I thought my Walmart had stopped selling fish, because they recently got fined 20,000 dollars for animal curelty, but apparently they got rid of all their tanks and they still sell betas.

These bettas were in bad shape, half of them were on the bottom of their jar, amongst their own waste, probably starving. I wanted to just take a sick one home, but I don't think I can save them.

However, there was a beautiful Red Crowntail who was in good health. I do not want his fate to be the same as the others. The problem is... Fabio is occupying our only 'Proper' tank. All we have is a little, plantless 1/2 gallon tank, no light, no heater.. How can We keep him happy and warm? I have a desk lamp that has a 40 watt bulb, and I am willing to change his water daily.

Please answer quickly, I want to save this fish from a horrible fate, but i don't know if we can. I am willing to do whatever possible to save him, and i know a life in a 1/2 gallon tank is better than a horrible death in a Cup.
RnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #2 
Splendid Veil

If you could upgrade after saving him it would work.
keeping him in 1/2 gallon tank temporarily isnt going to be so bad, as long as you plan on upgrading soon.
Splendid Veil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #3 
RnB

I can probably upgrade in a month or so. How am i going to keep him warm though? Daily water changes and my desk lamp?
Old 06-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #4 
Splendid Veil

that would work, daily water changes, and if the lamp gets warm enough, it could keep him warm until you upgrade.
Splendid Veil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #5 
Creat

As long as his temp doesnt drop below 68* F it should cause to much harm to his system usually below that is where it becomes bad. I would use a light but try not to have the temp fluctuate. And daily water changes would be fine. Anything at least in my opinion is better then the other fate.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #6 
RnB

So we rescued him from Walmart, Its looks as if he is developing fin rot on his tail. Here is a picture, (He should be all red, note the whitish tips).

I bought a small bag of aquarium salt, it says use a tablespoon for a 10 gallon tank, so how much should i use for a half gallon? Do I put the salt in when he is in the tank? or do i put it in first and wait for it to dissolve? Is there anything else i can do to aid his recovery?
Old 06-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

For a half of a gallon, please use 1/2 of a tsp. Allow the salt to dissolve fully before adding the salt in, as it will burn.

Next time you're at walmart, if/when you see the fish in bad shape, DEMAND their water be changed and they be fed properly. Cite their previous charge, and threaten to see that the proper authorities be notified if it doesnt get better..
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #8 
RnB

Alright, Cross (The new betta, Named after The Red Cross, cuz he is red and we saved him) Is acclimating right now, added the salt into his tank, and waiting for it to dissolve fully before adding any of the water into his cup.

The Funny thing is, Cross already looks brighter. Happier. Under the warm desk lamp instead of under a dark shelf. I am soo happy we saved him, we will get him a bigger tank and filter eventually; When funds are more readily available.

Thanks for the help guys!

Actually, another quick question. Fabio's water needs changing tomorrow. His ammonia levels are getting close to .5, so we are going to do a 50% water change. Should I add some aquarium salt in his tank? I hear its supposed to be good for them.. or is it just to help ward off sickness?
Old 06-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #9 
RnB

Quick update, Because we are getting worried. So we just transferred Cross to his 1/2 gallon tank, and he seems very stressed. He is 'panting', and whenever his tail or fins rub up against a plant, he freaks out and swims into the side of the tank. We are going to leave him be for a couple hours, and hope that he calms down, we have the bright desk lamp on him, hoping to provide warmth, his water temp is between 77 and 78 degrees. Are we doing anything wrong? It seemed like netting him really freak him out.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #10 
brownmane

You might want to dilute the salt further. 1 tablespoon equals 3 teaspoons, so it's 3 teaspoons per 10 gallons. 1/2 teaspoon of salt in 1/2 gallon is too much.
brownmane is offline   Reply With Quote