Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 07:10 AM   #1 
reuszepa

Baby Biorb for Imbellis pair

Hey everyone,

I am back in the aquarium game after many years off, and need some help. I bought a baby biorb for my son and am doing a "fish-in" cylce currently with glofish. 2 of the 3 have died and only one remains. If it doesn't make it, I'm going to do a fishless cycle (didn't know this existed until yesterday). After that is completed I was thinking about getting an Imbelllis (peaceful) betta pair for the tank. So here it goes.

1. Will a 4 gallon tank be enough to accommodate the two?
2. Can I even cycle a 4 gallon tank?
3. Anyone know where I can get an imbellis or imbellis pair other than aquabid?
4. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Especially with the cycling of the tank.

P.
reuszepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I think you can house both fish in a 4 gallon. A 4 gallon can be cycled.I don't know any other place to get imbellis except Aquabid. I hope I've answered your questions.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

I've heard that wild bettas need more space, so I WOULDN'T get a biOrb for them. I'd get a 10 gallon tank kit from walmart. It's cheaper, and has more room.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Wikipedia says they needs 10 gallons... my own opinion is 10 gallons as well, a 4g tank shaped like that seems too small to me.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:32 AM   #5 
Thunderloon

While the sites say you can use 10g leader, I'd not put them in anything less than a 15R or 20L. (15R is 3/4 the length of a 20L and same other dimentions, a very nice tank for modest but "bigger than a 10" fishkeeping)
You need precise and complete covering over the tank for Imbellis pairs as they tend to jump very accurately.

Keep in mind that "peaceful" in betta terms means "won't try to kill each other every second of the day". Imbellis have to be introduced to each other and you CAN actually have them decide not to get along. Not uncommon for people to have two or three pair in separate tanks. Some breeders may try to sell you Imbellis that also have some round-tail in them. Check the pictures for the wide color variation and the other traits. Remember that a roundtail male will kill a female then eat her while she's dying. Roundtails were bred for fighting.

Imbellis also need somewhat tighter water quality than Splendens, they prefer 6.1 to 7.0 which when combined with the hardness range becomes a bit trickier to maintain.

The following web site I've come to trust fairly well with its information on water stats.

http://www.aquariumlife.net/profiles...tta/100104.asp

I'd consider it a "no" for a child, they're not as hardy, no where near as cheap and require specific care.

Glo-fish are Danio and it isn't easy to kill them off. Do a fishless and make sure to spike it a few times to harden the biology.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote