Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #11 
sausj

I've been told that it takes a while for them to adjust, but he's a special one so I've been worried! He's just come out of his cave and now he's swimming just fine now! he does seem a bit groggy though
sausj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #12 
Sakura8

Oh that's good to hear! Maybe the temperature shock wore off. Yay! I'd say you probably don't need a container or epsom salts (although you may want to get the salts to have on hand, as bettas are sooo prone to constipation). Keep an eye on him for a while and now you know how to avoid temp shock, too.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #13 
sausj

Phew! Glad this whole thing is over and at least now I know how to avoid it!!! Big thank yous to you and oldfishlady
sausj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Good to hear he is better.....I would get a thermometer so you can monitor the tank water and the replacement water used for water changes so you can try and keep it within a couple of degrees between the two......I would go ahead and make 50% water changes with like temp dechlorinted water starting tomorrow then get on a regular schedule of......

In an unfiltered tank I would make 1-50% and 1-100% weekly water changes to maintain water quality......

Offer food tomorrow before the water change and as posted...it can take several days to weeks for them to adjust and start eating...offer daily and remove if he doesn't eat...keep up with water changes and most important enjoy......

Keep us posted and would love to see some pics.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #15 
Sakura8

Sure. It's scary when they start swimming funny so I totally understand. My guy did it to me two nights ago and I just about came undone. Fortunately I stopped short of calling my 24 hour vet clinic. And what do you know, after a night in epsom salts, he was swimming fine. But in his case, he was constipated.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote