Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #1 
HayrideHaunter

Any indoor plant lovers?

I'm a bit of a houseplant nut XD...but I'm always looking for people who are a little knowledgeable about it to share thoughts and answer each others questions and such. I currently have a cycad and a begonia with some troubles that I cant find help with...so...any plant lovers?
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #2 
tsoto80

I dont have house plants although I do want some. I seem to manage to kill just about every plant I have....even air ferns (go figure) I wanna get two large palms to put on both sides of my entertainment center- I think it would look so cool I also have a bar counter that is dying for some hanging ivy or the sorts but my kids would murder it in a flash :( my mom is a house plant nut. She has a few jade trees, aloe plant, a bushy kind not sure the name, and a few xmas cactus (so pretty when it flowers)
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #3 
HayrideHaunter

I have a Jade and a christmas cactus...I name all my plants haha...those ones are Oliver and Cecelia, respectively.

Try starting with something easier...like a cycad. theyre reeeeally hardy and can live in a huge variety of conditions!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #4 
vaygirl

I have a few. Most of my stuff is out on the deck though. I'm really good at gardening and keeping plants outside. Inside? Not so much. :P

Right now, inside, I have a gardenia (not looking good, spider mites got her and I don't think she likes the direct sun), a pepperomia, some reddish heart shaped leaf plant, several pothos, an aloe plant, a peace lilly and a sad looking ivy plant. I kill ivy all the time. :(

I rely heavily on miracle grow and old fish water. :P Plants love dirty fish water, especially if it's got vacuumed stuff in it.

For pests, I make my own stuff which consists of water, dish soap, mouthwash, and tabasco sauce. :D
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #5 
fishman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
I rely heavily on miracle grow and old fish water. :D
lol!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #6 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
I have a few. Most of my stuff is out on the deck though. I'm really good at gardening and keeping plants outside. Inside? Not so much. :P

Right now, inside, I have a gardenia (not looking good, spider mites got her and I don't think she likes the direct sun), a pepperomia, some reddish heart shaped leaf plant, several pothos, an aloe plant, a peace lilly and a sad looking ivy plant. I kill ivy all the time. :(

I rely heavily on miracle grow and old fish water. :P Plants love dirty fish water, especially if it's got vacuumed stuff in it.

For pests, I make my own stuff which consists of water, dish soap, mouthwash, and tabasco sauce. :D
For real they like fish water? I have plants on my patio but half are brown and the other is thriving but have aphids on it cant seem to get rid of em
Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #7 
Silverfang

I have a christmas cactus (that bloomed at least three times since december!) and a small ivy which will probably die. I have managed to kill a small bonsai (it was never well from the start). But I was most heart broken when my mini phaeleanopsis (no idea if that's the correct spelling) died.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #8 
Silverfang

That makes sense, since fertilizer is animal poo. And fish meal has been used as a fertilizer as well.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #9 
HayrideHaunter

i like the fish water idea!!!

as far as the spider mites, I use a mixture of one tablespoon dishsoap and one tablespoon baking soda per cup of (warm to start with) water...spray them whenever you see the pests and theyre gone within an hour!!! I have little fruit flies that seem to love my christmas cactus and jade

anyone know anything about rex begonias? i had a BEAUTIFUL one, grew fast and very well! i decided to give it room and transferred it to a bigger pot, and it dropped all its leaves and nearly died...all thats left is a tiny stump with two tiny sprout buds...but its been like that for two months...the buds are pink (aka healthy and alive, the plant is pink)...but...merp?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #10 
tsoto80

this whole convo made me want to spend the last of what money I have on buying some houseplants lol luckly my BF went to take a nap so now Home Depot and the garden center of Walmart is closed.....but there is always tomorrow hehehe should really save it for my water bill but meh