Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #1 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Angry ARGH! Don't download Internet Explorer 9!!!

OMG!!!!!

I have just spent several hours (over two days) trying to fix a new problem with IE 9.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ANGRY!!!!!

Yesterday, I was jumping in and out of my e-mail like I usually do, and I couldn't log on to my yahoo e-mail account. It wouldn't accept my password. I double checked the web address to make sure it wasn't an imposter site. Nope, I was at the right place.

Next, I clicked the link 'I can't access my account', and wound up resetting my password. I activated the password. Cool, I thought, everything will be fine now. I was wrong!

I tried to log back into my e-mail... and it wouldn't accept the new password. Okay, I though, maybe the problem is not yahoo. IE has a long track record of being screwed up. I opened my google chrome browser and guess what, boys and girls? I was right... IE 9 is screwed up. I could log into my e-mail using the google chrome browser.

So okay, I can still get to my e-mail account and it's not compromised. Good. Now to deal with IE 9.

I tried to uninstall it, and use IE 8 instead. But I use Windows 7... so I couldn't back track. IE 8 won't work on W7. Great. Next, I tried to use the original version of IE 9 that came on my computer. No luck there, either. Some mysterious windows update had changed things.

Next, I tried using IE 9 with all add-ons disabled. Bingo! I was now able to get into my yahoo e-mail account as before. Okay, I thought, this should be simple. I just have to figure which add-on was causing the problem. I closed out of the IE 9 without add-ons, and opened the regular IE 9.

I spent the next hour doing a process of elimination for the minimal amount of obvious and hidden add-ons that were in IE 9. I wound up disabling every single add-on I could find... and I COULD NOT ACCESS MY E-MAIL AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yet, when I closed the regular IE 9, and re-opened IE 9 without add-ons, access to yahoo mail was once again restored.

So, now I am running IE 9 in the trouble-shooting mode until microsoft gets their collective heads out of their behinds, and fixes this issue.

Just so I'm clear this I am an expert user of Windows - I've used everything from 3.1 onward. This is a major screw up on their part. Do not use or download the IE 9 browser until they've fixed it and it's many, many user unfriendly issues!

Last edited by dramaqueen; 06-18-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Yeah... I use firefox... virtually no issues... in fact no issues thus far.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #3 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I'm a webmaster so I keep several browsers... got to have IE to do my display checks on my websites... but it's gotten to the point now that it can't be reccomended for general use.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Ah I see.. I'd forgotten that you have to use IE to check displays.

You would think with already being the most unpopular browser that they'd get off their -ahem- butts and get out a version that runs well and attractive to users.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:45 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

I didn't realize people still used IE.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

I guess people that don't know any better still do.

And also like HFF said you have to use IE to check how a website displays. Well, actually you need to check several browsers but when I was taking a web design class there was something about IE that made you want to check your display on there over other browsers.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #7 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

The problem is that people who are new to computing are a captive audience. You'd think Microsoft would make their browser as easy as possible, so the captive audience doesn't wander away once they figure out how to download...

Unbelievable...
Old 06-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #8 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I guess people that don't know any better still do.

And also like HFF said you have to use IE to check how a website displays. Well, actually you need to check several browsers but when I was taking a web design class there was something about IE that made you want to check your display on there over other browsers.
Yeah, IE is the most pervasive browser, so you have to presume that a majority of your viewers will be using it in some form. And it has user display overrides that can effect the look of the web design. Not to mention code issues.

Add to the problem that there are so many different flavors of code out there and so many types and so many versions of this and that application... it's amazing anything displays correctly, lol...
Old 06-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #9 
AngelicScars

I'm on a Mac and use Safari. I'll switch to Firefox if I need a site to work. Honestly, if I had to use IE (on PC or otherwise) to load I site, I just wouldn't bother visiting it.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:22 AM   #10 
Silverfang

It's Microsoft, enough said.
Surprisingly enough after updating to the service pack one for Win7 no issues, except for a graphical warning on one really old game, that will still play fine.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote