Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #1 
bahamut285

Exclamation Somewhat Urgent: Suddenly, Neons

Morning everybody~

Something dire has suddenly come to pass. Backstory: My friend got a betta last week, in a bowl but happily agreed to get a proper home/heater/filter/whole shabang after I mentioned it to her.

Today she randomly shows up on my doorstep holding a betta cup. I look inside and there are SIX neons in there. I freaked and told her that I had no room for them, as I only have small tanks. She mentioned that she had gotten 6 for herself as well, but I know she only has a 5 gallon for her little lady and that she wanted to give me a "present". (She's new to fishkeeping so I wasn't as angry as I would have been)

Fortunately, I was doing a water change in my 3 Gal, so as to not freak themselves out I just acclimated them into it and put them in, much to HongBo's dismay. He first just started trolling them, by pretending to school with them and check them out, but soon turned into him thinking it's an AYCE buffet. I pulled him out because he's easier to catch, and put him into my 0.5 Gal QT tank.

Two neons have died in the past hour (probably due to transportation), so I took her back to the random store she got it from and they REFUSE to take it back from us, even with a receipt... I don't know why but I'm pretty sure the dude would have called the cops if we insisted. I even went to my local petsmart and they (rightly so) also refused to take it (potential disease, etcetc.)

So I've now got four neons, they're actually doing fairly well in my 3 Gallon (they're eating and schooling, no outcasting yet) and they're busy with their pecking order right now.

My main concern is HongBo, I feel terrible putting him in the 0.5 Gallon, even though he doesn't mind. I honestly don't really want to buy any more tanks or kritter keepers (they are actually expensive in Canada) unless I have no other choice.

Is there anything I can do?

My tanks are:
- 0.5 Gal, 3 Gal, 5 Gal

Fish in question (current home):
- 4 neon tetras (3 Gal)
- Male Betta (0.5 Gal)
- Female Betta (5 Gal)

EDIT: Before anybody asks, for some reason her neons are totally fine T.T...she probably has a really passive female because I KNOW Lin and HongBo will eat them for lunch

Last edited by bahamut285; 06-14-2011 at 12:03 PM.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #2 
bahamut285

Oh God, HongBo is pouting at me from inside his box T__________T
Old 06-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #3 
frogipoi

I have no clue what to do :( Hopefully somewhat that does will come help you.... D:
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #4 
youlovegnats

Could you divide the 5 gal. and put the male in there? That might work.
I dunno how your female and male would do in a divided tank, but it's an idea. :P ...maybe? haha.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #5 
bahamut285

@frogi: Thanks T_T <33

@YLG: I was thinking of doing that, however last time when I asked if I could do it for the summer, a few members said that, not only is having a divided tank a risk in itself, but dividing with females is risky too because of...hormones or something passing through the divider X_X

I'll have to do the makeshift divider if I can get others to confirm that it will be okay.

FORGOT TO ADD: All 3 tanks are heated properly so nobody is freezing to death. HongBo is busying himself with a bubble nest because I don't have any "caves" tha will fit into the 0.5 gal
Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #6 
frogipoi

@bahamut Your welcome!

I am thinking of what would be good to suggest... thinking...
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #7 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
@YLG: I was thinking of doing that, however last time when I asked if I could do it for the summer, a few members said that, not only is having a divided tank a risk in itself, but dividing with females is risky too because of...hormones or something passing through the divider X_X
O__O; Whaaaa? The only risk of dividing a tank would be if the male/female somehow got to the other side... -__-; Hormones would only make the male want to spawn = him possibly jumping over the divider. I divided my 5 gal with my two boys and just put some plants in front of it. They stayed on opposite ends. lol.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #8 
bahamut285

Well yes essentially they would try really hard to jump over because of the hormones lol, that's what I meant to say, sorry XD;
Old 06-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #9 
youlovegnats

Haha, it should be fine if you lower the water down to about 3" or so. Bettas can jump high, but not that high. lol.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #10 
Luimeril

it's REALLY odd that they refused to take the neons back. x: kinda fishy right there, and not in the good way. mark that store, as a "go at your own risk". >3>

uumm..... could you pick up a 10 gallon off Craigslist, or from a pet store? that'd be better for the Neons, imo, and HongBo could have his 3 gallon back. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote