Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #11 
ScarlettAngel

Aaah, the joy of friends!!!!!!. What a predicament ;(
I' m still a newbie on my first tank so can't offer much inspiration, you could try offering them on here, the amount of members someone must know someone who would be grateful for a few freebies.
Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
ScarlettAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #12 
doggyhog

I have housed males and females in the same tank (with a divider of course!!!) many many times with no problems. Some of the girls don't even seem to notice. I would see how it goes and if it doesn't work, try finding the neons a new home via craigslist or something like that.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #13 
bahamut285

@Luimeril: Yeah I know...I've never been to that store before in my life, I normally go to Petsmart :S...as much as I would love to get a 10G for them, I simply have no more room physically and electrically. Even if I did I think my family will have something to say about it >_>

@ScarlettAngel: LOL I would but most members are from the US meanwhile I am in Canadaaaah

@Doggyhog: I think I'm going to have to grab a divider then and just leave the neons in the 3G, they are more active and happier now that I took HongBo out, XD;

As for Craigslist, I know most of the time it's legit, but I'm pretty scared of strangers, and if my parents found out that I met up with someone via craigslist they would be P*SSED. And no, going with a friend or even an army won't fix that, lol :( *pathetic*

Thanks for all you guys' help, I will continue to watch this thread for any new ideas...looks like I have to go out to get materials for the DIY divider ;A;
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #14 
Nymmers

Well, if you could get a 10G essentially you could divide a small portion for your male/or/female or in half, and let whoever is left out of the divided section to be with the neons, of course include plenty of hiding places etc.. And then put the 3G/5G/.5G in storage and keep them for emergencies, then you'd only have one tank? Wouldn't have to worry about space or anything really.

And if you're family asks say 'this is a good thing, I'm putting all my tanks into one, saving space, electricity etc..'

Last edited by Nymmers; 06-14-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Nymmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #15 
bahamut285

@Nymmers: Interesting thought. How difficult would it be to move (i.e. move house) with that kind of set up without stressing the neons? I know I could just put the bettas either back into their cups with a heat pad...the neons looked so terrified in my friend's betta cup X_X

Also, I would also instead get a 20Long, split 5 for HongBo...would 15 be enough for 4 neons and sorority?
Old 06-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #16 
Nymmers

If you can keep them housed in your set-up currently, even temporary while you get things set up that'd be fine. When you switch them to the new tank just aclimate them like you would if you'd bought a new fish, Moving is always stressful, maybe consider some tubberware w/ lids, they'd be bigger than a better cup but not as heavy as an aquarium for moving house.

20G Long is plenty of room for him and a sorority, just make sure you have PLENTY of hiding spots, life plants are helpful esspecially for cycling the tank. Probably 4-5 females would be fine with your neons, but you should put your neons in first. They are not very agressive and don't claim territories really, but at least let them find all the hiding spots first.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #17 
bahamut285

Yeah it's just that I'm only living in this apartment because I go to school here. My parents live in a different country right now and if I graduate (next year this time maybe) I don't want to be all: LULZ I GOTS AN ENORMOUS TANK HAHAHA WHAT DO I DO?

I don't even know if my next home will allow for it, hehe
Old 06-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #18 
Nymmers

Well when I transported my cichlid tank from our previous house to our current one, I bagged all of them up, emptied 3/4 of the tank, and took that time to do REALLY good cleaning of the gravel etc.

When I got them home I filled it back up with slightly warm water, and used water conditioner then let it sit with them floating around for about an hr before letting them go, they were stressed but I didn't lose anyone.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #19 
bahamut285

Yeah, I could probably handle that, it's just that I don't know where I am going...I could be going to a proper house or an apartment that gets antsy with anything larger than a gallon
Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #20 
Nymmers

Technically unless its in the contract stating No cats/dogs or fish tanks over blah blah, birds hamsters etc.. There isn't much they can do. 20G isn't really all that big.